Sakura germination technique

Bonsaithusiast

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was wondering a few things to germinate really tough and thick shelled seeds, I came across a pile of leaves that have just been sitting there rotting and I have noticed that Indian Almonds (very thick shelled) tend to germinate easily under leaves due the the high amount of humidity and warm temperature. so i was wondering if I could put my very thick shelled seeds( like cherry blossoms seeds) under there and maybe it'll germinate with no problem, Im very skeptical about using dirt because all the ones i have tried planting in dirt and have never germinated, maybe its not very well draining soil or that im doing some thing wrong. But i want to really know if that is possible and it seems like germination rate is most likely to happen. I want to know if someone has tried this technique and if not ill have to find out for my self. cherry blossoms seeds has been in the fridge for a while and im hoping i can germinate these seeds under leaves. I want to think this will work out because Like i said I have seen the most thickest of seeds germinate under these leaves germinate and thrive in these humid and maybe fertilized conditions. I have also Found out that there is fungus growing in these leaves and i also think that this fungus helps its give it a boost to germinate and make it grow fast. I might wrap the cherry blossoms in moist paper towel and keep them under there. Ill keep updates on this experiment and hopefully turns out to be a germinator 9000 for thick shelled seeds.

ChefB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You could soak your seeds. Also use a process, called scarification where you would nick the shell of the seed or burnish it on bit of sandpaper. Spahgnum mossis good for germinating seeds also as it has antibacterial properties and is sterile. I would be afraid of fungus growing in your leaf pile that may cause some damping off of your seedlings.

Top Bottom