Sapling Division - Fonz's Acer Buergerianum Forest

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Planted a bunch of seeds 3 years ago with a forest in mind. Guess this comes in handy now :)
After using a bunch for other projects I have 17 left.
They're all 3 years old except for the main tree which is 5-6 years old.

View attachment 350488
Wonderful!

This will be a very “proper” forest.

🤓

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
OK, I put them together today. Looking at the final result now I might have put them not close enough together. But then again, once they set themselvelves and the roots start growing over eachother, the whole thing will look a lot more uniform.
I'll let them settle in and grow freely this growing season and in fall or winter I'll start working on the trees.

20210228_135749.jpg

20210228_142220.jpg

20210228_143807.jpg

20210228_153405.jpg

20210228_154945.jpg

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice start! That 5-6 year old trunk stands out to me for two reasons.
1) The bark is very different than the young trees. Hopefully just an age thing and a few more years will have everything blending nicely.
2) About halfway up the trunk has some sharp, angled movement (which is in contrast to all of the younger trunks).

Are you thinking of either mimicking that angular growth habit in the younger trees over time -or- chopping the main trunk and regrowing a leader with more gentle curves?

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
1) The bark is very different than the young trees. Hopefully just an age thing and a few more years will have everything blending nicely.
2) About halfway up the trunk has some sharp, angled movement (which is in contrast to all of the younger trunks).

Are you thinking of either mimicking that angular growth habit in the younger trees over time -or- chopping the main trunk and regrowing a leader with more gentle curves?

Busted!

Pitch it.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Good catch ;)

You're absolutely right, the main tree stands out a bit too much at the moment. The first year I aimed mostly on letting the trees settle in the pot and trying to get them through the year alive. Next year will probably be the same. At the end of next year I'll probably start develloping the canopys. Not sure what I will do with the sharp bend issue yet.

Top Bottom