Saving boring juniper from 1800 Flowers

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
If I re-potted it just in to a larger vessel, leave the roots and the soil it's in alone, do you think it would be OK? Or is giving the roots some more room not really necessary since it was just re-potted?
The only reason I can come up with for a larger container is to allow more leeway with water. Small containers dry out in a single day and so many beginner trees die before they get the hang of watering. Slightly larger pots allow more room for beginner error.
Juniper roots grow slow so if it has recently been repotted it will have lots of room in the current pot. Pot size will not be limiting this season.
If you try to slip pot to a larger size it is almost certain all the soil will drop off and may damage brittle new roots.
When slip potting up to larger pot always tease outer roots so thy move into the new soil. With no root disturbance roots stay in the old soil and may not move to the new soil which leads to a number of problems instead of solving the problem of a small pot.

All in all I think the potential problems of potting up outweigh the few benefits. I'd leave it for this year.

Top Bottom