Scarified Apple Seeds Sprouted!

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I decided I would try out the process of scarification on germinating Apple seeds. 1 week from today I rubbed 4 apple seeds along the grout in between the floor tiles until I saw a nice white color on about half of the seed (Didnt take to much sanding). I put these seeds in a damp paper towel, yesterday I pulled them out to see a long root system along with sprouts in only 6 days! After this I potted the Apple seeds in a pot, watered them real good, and today I have got three little sprouts above the soil. I guess in about a month I will repot all of them and hopefully start some more. I will post pictures later!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
That's good that scarified apple seeds will sprout.
Are you suggesting that we should all scarify apple seeds before sowing? The fact you have posted would lead some to infer this is necessary.

The real question is whether scarification helped or not. No mention of a control which would give a comparison. Maybe they would have grown even better without?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well done and congratulations! You are ready to start your own apple field! :)

As I sometimes find germinated seeds inside apples. I would venture scarification is not needed.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Do you know what apple the seeds came from?

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's good that scarified apple seeds will sprout.
Are you suggesting that we should all scarify apple seeds before sowing? The fact you have posted would lead some to infer this is necessary.

The real question is whether scarification helped or not. No mention of a control which would give a comparison. Maybe they would have grown even better without?
I started 4 other apple seeds at the same time as those, and not one of them had sent out any roots. My conclusion is that with part of the outer shell removed, the water enters the seed faster and starts the life cycle of the plant. As long as you don't over do it scarification speeds up the process significantly. Meanwhile I am still waiting on the seeds I did not do anything to to show a sign of life, here are the seeds I scarified. 20191230_113626.jpg The reason there are three seeds is that I dropped the 4th. All 4 had sprouted in the paper towel. As @leatherback said, scarification is not needed other than it speeds up the process for what I wanted the seedlings for especially if you don't have a vivipary apple.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.

Sorce

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
apples are so easy to sprout they definitely dont require scarification. Ive had the same results with store bought and picked apples and crab apples. soak em a day, cold stratify a week and ive always had plenty sprout from that. the thing ive had trouble with is protection from squirrels

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
apples are so easy to sprout they definitely dont require scarification. Ive had the same results with store bought and picked apples and crab apples. soak em a day, cold stratify a week and ive always had plenty sprout from that. the thing ive had trouble with is protection from squirrels
Just a fun little test I had. Planning on growing them to mature trees and seeing if i get any fruit thats halfway good. Lets just see if one of them survives that long 😂

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
I just checked the crab apple seeds in my fridge :- I sowed most of them in mid October in bags of gritty compost.
The Crab apple - Malus Red Sentinel have already sprouted so Ive transferred them into pots in my conservatory this evening.
No signs of life from the Wild Crab apples or Malus Golden Hornet yet, but hopefully I will soon have enough to start a bonsai orchard when Im about 80!!

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I just checked the crab apple seeds in my fridge :- I sowed most of them in mid October in bags of gritty compost.
The Crab apple - Malus Red Sentinel have already sprouted so Ive transferred them into pots in my conservatory this evening.
No signs of life from the Wild Crab apples or Malus Golden Hornet yet, but hopefully I will soon have enough to start a bonsai orchard when Im about 80!!

I didn't know they would sprout in the fridge, guess I need to watch mine a bit closer.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I started 4 other apple seeds at the same time as those, and not one of them had sent out any roots. My conclusion is that with part of the outer shell removed, the water enters the seed faster and starts the life cycle of the plant. As long as you don't over do it scarification speeds up the process significantly. Meanwhile I am still waiting on the seeds I did not do anything to to show a sign of life, here are the seeds I scarified.
Excellent experimental procedure. Although many of us are aware that apple seeds do not NEED to be scarified the earlier germination may be useful and your explanation is also what I was thinking while reading the post. Well done on letting us know of a possible strategy if someone wants to speed up germination.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I germinated so many crabapples last year, i simply tossed about 75% of them. I kept about 6 seedlings. I dont think I lost a single tree.

I want to get some proper fruit tree seedlings this year to try growing espallier along my fence line.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I just read that removal of the skin of an apple seed negates the need for any cold treatment as the skin acts like a cold triggered timer switch. Seems plausible. The method I just saw was to soak the seeds for a day, peel off half the skin, damp towel, zippy bag and warm, dark spot. Took 2 days apparently.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
30 days cold stratified in moist paper towel:

100% germination. What isnt broke, doesnt need fixing.

20200307_093343.jpg

Top Bottom