Scots pine

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why do you even bother to post? You’re still trying to Yoda speak, and you offer nothing of substance.

Compare your advice to the post I just made.

Why do you continue as arrogant jerk?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Why do you continue as arrogant jerk?
You pretending to be Yoda isn’t being a jerk?

Look, I know you are a fan of Ryan Neil. Maybe even a student. But your posts make him look bad.

You never post any of your own work. You have no credibility. Other than say stuff like “Mirai does this or Mirai does that...”. Not everyone lives in the Pacific Northwest and works on collected trees. You often criticize people’s trees because they’re nursery stock.

But, you never post your own work. How are we to know if you have any idea of what you are talking about? Mimiicing Yoda makes you sound like a 12 year old.

Seriously, why do you post? Saying the wiring is bad is one thing, but did you say why it’s bad? That wiring is far better than some I’ve seen. Did you present an example of better wiring, showing how it should be done? No. Did you post a link to a wiring tutorial? No. Did you try to describe what he should have done? No.

Lots of people may think I’m arrogant, am fixed in my way of thinking, and may think I’m a jerk. But no one can deny that provide meaningful content in my posts, with suggestions of specific things people can do to improve their tree or technique.

You, instead, post crap like “Tree not collected. No good it is”. How is that going to help a guy who owns that tree?

And stop with the insistence that every tree be yamadori or collected. I live in Georgia. There’s not a single Sierra Juniper for sale around here for 100 miles. The local shops just don’t have any. Maybe if I went to Bjorn’s place 250 miles away, he might have a few. There might be a few brought in by vendors to the larger regional shows. But they’re rare in this part of the world. Over on the West Coast, they’re everywhere. Not everyone has easy access to all the material.

I’m sure you’re passionate about bonsai. We all are. If you have something to say that would help a fellow bonsai artist, say it in pictures. Provide examples. Use your own work if possible. People RESPECT that. I try to illustrate my points using my own trees. Sometimes, if I don’t happen to have a good example, I might have to google something, and then I state it’s a picture from Google.

Remember, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
10,000 posts and not a tree in sight
I’m assuming you’re talking about Potawatomi? I have 10,000 posts, but post pictures of my trees all the time.

Potawatomi has 2600 posts, and I can’t recall ever seeing a tree, or even a picture of any kind.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m assuming you’re talking about Potawatomi? I have 10,000 posts, but post pictures of my trees all the time.

Potawatomi has 2600 posts, and I can’t recall ever seeing a tree, or even a picture of any kind.
I wasn’t talking about you !!! Sorry if that came across that way. I should have said “Thousands of posts” or better “hundreds of posts”

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
You have a tall tree with a thin, elegant trunk. The two lower left branches are long and stick out to the side. The primary movement your tree should display is verticality. It’s desire to go UP, be tall. The long horizontal branches don’t fit the image.

If you could bend them down, a lot, so that they make an angle only 30 or 45 degrees with the trunk, it would be very dramatic, and bring the foliage much closer to the trunk. This would make the tree look much more narrow, and, I think would make the tree look far older.

I suggest that you employ a couple pieces of rebar to help make these bends. What you want is the bend to occur right at the crotch where the branches attach to the trunk. And, you want the branches themselves to be fairly straight. You DONT want the rainbow curve the higher of those two branches has.

Employ this technique:

View attachment 244166

Look at Fig 8, above. Make a saw cut into the trunk just above the branch. When you bend the branch down, the trunk will split a little, but the life line will keep the branch alive. You can place a pebble in the opened V to help keep the angle. Fill the V with cut paste.

Also employ this technique:

View attachment 244165

Look at Fig 16. See how the rebar is attached under the branch? Pad the rebar and tie it snugly to the branch at least 3 places on the branch. The end of the rebar closest to the trunk should be about 3/4 inch away from the trunk. The other end should extend out farther than the end of the branch. So, when pulling the branch down, pull the rebar down! NOT the branch! This forces the bend to be right at the saw cut. And, it keeps the branch straight, no rainbow curve.

You can pull the rebar down by hand, then use a guy wire to secure it at the angle you prefer. On really heavy branches, you can use a jack to do the pulling.

This method works! John Naka’s “Goshin” was trained in exactly this manner. With saw cuts on the branches. (I don’t know if he had to use rebar or not). You can leave the rebar in place.

If you want, a week or so after the initial bend, you can come back and bend some more, and tighten the guy wire.

This technique will make a 100% improvement to your tree!

Work slowly and carefully, and good luck!
Thank you for posting this, Adair! I will definitely try this next year. For now, I'd really like to keep all the branches. Bending them down with this technique could make them 'fit' more in the current design.
What time of year should I apply this technique? Just before spring maybe?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sure. More foliage around means a stronger tree for working. Scots seem to back-bud nicely, I believe? Keep 'er happy with good feed and sun!:cool:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You pretending to be Yoda isn’t being a jerk?

Look, I know you are a fan of Ryan Neil. Maybe even a student. But your posts make him look bad.

You never post any of your own work. You have no credibility. Other than say stuff like “Mirai does this or Mirai does that...”. Not everyone lives in the Pacific Northwest and works on collected trees. You often criticize people’s trees because they’re nursery stock.

But, you never post your own work. How are we to know if you have any idea of what you are talking about? Mimiicing Yoda makes you sound like a 12 year old.

Seriously, why do you post? Saying the wiring is bad is one thing, but did you say why it’s bad? That wiring is far better than some I’ve seen. Did you present an example of better wiring, showing how it should be done? No. Did you post a link to a wiring tutorial? No. Did you try to describe what he should have done? No.

Lots of people may think I’m arrogant, am fixed in my way of thinking, and may think I’m a jerk. But no one can deny that provide meaningful content in my posts, with suggestions of specific things people can do to improve their tree or technique.

You, instead, post crap like “Tree not collected. No good it is”. How is that going to help a guy who owns that tree?

And stop with the insistence that every tree be yamadori or collected. I live in Georgia. There’s not a single Sierra Juniper for sale around here for 100 miles. The local shops just don’t have any. Maybe if I went to Bjorn’s place 250 miles away, he might have a few. There might be a few brought in by vendors to the larger regional shows. But they’re rare in this part of the world. Over on the West Coast, they’re everywhere. Not everyone has easy access to all the material.

I’m sure you’re passionate about bonsai. We all are. If you have something to say that would help a fellow bonsai artist, say it in pictures. Provide examples. Use your own work if possible. People RESPECT that. I try to illustrate my points using my own trees. Sometimes, if I don’t happen to have a good example, I might have to google something, and then I state it’s a picture from Google.

Remember, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Correct, but beating a dead horse you are. Ignorant and set in his ways he is. Ignore button is a defense of the Jedi.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you for posting this, Adair! I will definitely try this next year. For now, I'd really like to keep all the branches. Bending them down with this technique could make them 'fit' more in the current design.
What time of year should I apply this technique? Just before spring maybe?
Fall.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Pines take time whether Yamadori sourced or grown from cultivated material. Following are a couple of mine I was able to photograph this A.M. before it started raining again. The first is the Drunken Dragon and the second is a Mugo in two shots I have not called names or posted for some time. It was started in the mid 90's and has been through several redesignes to bring it to this point. This is what I like to do; take ordinary nursery trees and transform them into bonsai. I know they are not Yamadori but I bet you wont find any Yamadori Mugos any where in N.America.

DSC_0338 copy.JPGDSC_0328 copy.JPGDSC_0327 copy.JPG

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Pines take time whether Yamadori sourced or grown from cultivated material. Following are a couple of mine I was able to photograph this A.M. before it started raining again. The first is the Drunken Dragon and the second is a Mugo in two shots I have not called names or posted for some time. It was started in the mid 90's and has been through several redesignes to bring it to this point. This is what I like to do; take ordinary nursery trees and transform them into bonsai. I know they are not Yamadori but I bet you wont find any Yamadori Mugos any where in N.America.

View attachment 244350View attachment 244351View attachment 244352
Nice tree

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Why don't you just come out and explain exactly what you mean? This esoteric bull shit pisses me off.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Why don't you just come out and explain exactly what you mean? This esoteric bull shit pisses me off.
Don’t worry about it, Vance. I believe MichaelS was just trying to be funny.

There’s a poster hanging on the wall behind the tree in the OP’s post. It reads “ Sex Vintage, Rock and Roll”. Then, down in the lower corner, there’s the word “Vintage”, in a flowery script.

My take of it is “Vintage” is a brand name of some product, sold in Europe. The OP is in Belgium. And the poster is a play off the phrase, “Sex, drugs, and Rock and Roll”. I think the poster is some kind of an advertisement for a product.

At least, that’s the best I can make of it.

Top Bottom