Second Annual National Toko Kazari

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can we get a closer picture of #4's scroll and suiseki? That may change my ranking, #4 has a feeling of tranquility, though I can't make out all the details of the scroll.
-=Brian=-

The suiseki is a Sugata-ishi, human shape. A meditating monk.
The scroll is cherry blossoms; soft and subtle.

I am almost certain Al has close ups.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
HEY are you coming up here for the convention or what? no body tells me anything...

As of this point I sure do plan on it. I look forward to it. However, I may be starting a new job in August so that might cancel all of my convention plans for this year.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As of this point I sure do plan on it. I look forward to it. However, I may be starting a new job in August so that might cancel all of my convention plans for this year.

It's called a "condition of hire" sweety. I would hate to miss getting to party with you for two months in a row. :D

V

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish I understood the Kanji that was used in #3. I think it must mean something profound to the rest of the display... it's high position above the otherwise grounded and spreading display tells me I am missing some lofty and important idea. I would likely have rated it higher if I understood it, because it is a beautifully conceived display.

V

The accent is an opaque blue/green glass sculpture of a stylized blocky human laying on their back with arms under their head and one knee raised = dreaming.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's called a "condition of hire" sweety. I would hate to miss getting to party with you for two months in a row. :D

V

I will play that card when the time is right. I intend to make it. If hired I will be the Executive Director so I guess I can decide eh?

nip

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All entries are very good and its difficult to choose! I know little about toko but my favorites are 11, 12, and 7.
For 11 and 12, the scrolls seem to help form a scene in my mind with the tree and accents playing strong roles. As for number 7, I just really like the scroll and enjoy how the tree's apex is reaching for the moon(?) in the scroll. I agree that it would be better with a different stand/slab for the tree.

I noticed that in the displays I like... the accent plant was located closer to the scroll and tree. This could be that lighting and background are influencing my choice. For example, the side item in #4 kind of disappears in the corner. With better lighting or if the side item was moved closer, it might be in my top 3. Numbers 3 and 10 could also benefit from better lighting. Thanks for posting them.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All entries are very good and its difficult to choose! I know little about toko but my favorites are 11, 12, and 7.
For 11 and 12, the scrolls seem to help form a scene in my mind with the tree and accents playing strong roles. As for number 7, I just really like the scroll and enjoy how the tree's apex is reaching for the moon(?) in the scroll. I agree that it would be better with a different stand/slab for the tree.

I noticed that in the displays I like... the accent plant was located closer to the scroll and tree. This could be that lighting and background are influencing my choice. For example, the side item in #4 kind of disappears in the corner. With better lighting or if the side item was moved closer, it might be in my top 3. Numbers 3 and 10 could also benefit from better lighting. Thanks for posting them.

oh yes lighting plays a very important part of the package. In fact in Japan, most Tokonoma's are very dimly lit. As dim as my display was it was the most important part of my ranking this year!

nip

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well that explains it :) Like much of bonsai, toko is probably best viewed in person for admiring and judging. So were you able to control the level of lighting in the show?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well that explains it :) Like much of bonsai, toko is probably best viewed in person for admiring and judging. So were you able to control the level of lighting in the show?

Not me personally...but I was in a lower level light area which played into my favor.

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
I like number 5 because the shape of the tree is close to the shape of the symbols on the scroll and also it flows nicely into the shape of the rock.

and how do i get my underwear white again ?

BoneSci

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also have absolutely no knowledge of toko, making this super interesting (thanks Smoke). My favorites are 6,7 & 8. I agree with some earlier posters about the two slabs in some of them though (maybe now that it was pointed out). I also liked #4, but what bothers me about this one is that I feel the stand is too large and doesn't fit the tree too well.

I also liked Boon's but I knew which one it was. Mountain on one side and fertile valley on the other is what i see there....

Chris

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
1: #12, great overall effect, beautiful scroll and tree composition. Would like to see the scroll just a touch to the right so it didn't overlap with the tree, but it could also be the photo angle.

2: #2, love the composition, incredible scroll, pot and table go well together, but the tree isn't the best bonsai.

3: #8, excellent bonsai, great composition...Beech?

Hon. mentions: table/tree combo in #4 is great. Liked #7, but would have preferred to see a table rather than a slab for at least one of the two pieces.

Al, thanks for sharing...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As I said in another thread... Not sure I want to bump anything out... but my new favorite is #3. I found myself thinking about it's concepts and presentation this morning, and how I enjoyed it's depth of thought. Which was more than I could say about the others because I didn't find myself thinking about them at length.

So that tells me that #3 gave me more than the others.

V

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As I said in another thread... Not sure I want to bump anything out... but my new favorite is #3. I found myself thinking about it's concepts and presentation this morning, and how I enjoyed it's depth of thought. Which was more than I could say about the others because I didn't find myself thinking about them at length.

So that tells me that #3 gave me more than the others.

V
I helps that #3 was explained in great detail....

I do agree tho that it was really nice....

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, I know nothing about the 'rules' of display, but to me the most balanced image 'artistically' is no. 9 .
All of the others have the scroll nearly dead-center, which to me is just plain awkward visually. As a lifelong photographer, this runs contrary to everything I know of image composition, and it is not pleasing at all.

So, in my ignorant assessment, no. 9 wins hands down.:)

johng

Omono
Reaction score
ok...

its been a while since I have posted here but Al's display posts are always of interest to me. I know this is a big love for you Al, and I very much appreciate the time you have taken to post.

Here are a couple of questions that I have...

Can we ever expect to be able to fully appreciate or participate in an art form (Keido) that is so tied to a culture of which we are not part? Since few of us are Japanese or have the necessary knowledge of Japanese culture why are we trying to imitate their displays instead of making displays that reflect our own culture?

Is not the essence of the display lost on viewers for which translation is required? In other words, if I can't read the kanji characters on the scroll...can I ever really get the intent/message of the display? If it has to be explained doesn't it lose something?

There is also a technical issue here...Al's pics are great, but I can't make out the details on the scrolls and of the accessories of about 2/3s of the pictures...lacking that information how can I have any real idea of what the intent of the display is? If a conversation is going to take place in a meaningful way high resolution pictures are essential. (This is not a computer user issue either:)

That being said and although I very much wanted to, I found it very difficult to discern a theme or message for most of the displays and therefore have a hard time identifying a favorite.

I also wonder if the question should be, "what is the message that these displays confer?" as opposed to what is your favorite (I wonder if most people are just using visual aesthetics to make their evaluations when asked about what their favorite is?) I think perhaps Ms. Vic has discovered this very notion as she has had the opportunity to think more about what these display tell her through the course of the day.

It is my hope that these questions add to this conversation and do not side track it.

Thoughtfully,
John

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can we ever expect to be able to fully appreciate or participate in an art form (Keido) that is so tied to a culture of which we are not part? Since few of us are Japanese or have the necessary knowledge of Japanese culture why are we trying to imitate their displays instead of making displays that reflect our own culture?

Is not the essence of the display lost on viewers for which translation is required? In other words, if I can't read the kanji characters on the scroll...can I ever really get the intent/message of the display? If it has to be explained doesn't it lose something?

Thoughtfully,
John

John,
Each entry had a card with it that contained a title, the message to be confered, and this year they added a translation of the kanji. It was immensly helpful in understanding the composition. Because the cards also have the artist name, I assume Al didn't want to spill that part of the info yet. Maybe he has a picture of the cards for each entry.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
its been a while since I have posted here but Al's display posts are always of interest to me. I know this is a big love for you Al, and I very much appreciate the time you have taken to post.

Here are a couple of questions that I have...

There is also a technical issue here...Al's pics are great, but I can't make out the details on the scrolls and of the accessories of about 2/3s of the pictures...lacking that information how can I have any real idea of what the intent of the display is? If a conversation is going to take place in a meaningful way high resolution pictures are essential. (This is not a computer user issue either:)

That being said and although I very much wanted to, I found it very difficult to discern a theme or message for most of the displays and therefore have a hard time identifying a favorite.

I also wonder if the question should be, "what is the message that these displays confer?" as opposed to what is your favorite (I wonder if most people are just using visual aesthetics to make their evaluations when asked about what their favorite is?) I think perhaps Ms. Vic has discovered this very notion as she has had the opportunity to think more about what these display tell her through the course of the day.

It is my hope that these questions add to this conversation and do not side track it.

Thoughtfully,
John

I like this John! I most defintely just pick out what I think looks the best. I'm sure Bonsai professionals in Japan would be laughing at this thread.

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
John,
Each entry had a card with it that contained a title, the message to be confered, and this year they added a translation of the kanji. It was immensly helpful in understanding the composition. Because the cards also have the artist name, I assume Al didn't want to spill that part of the info yet. Maybe he has a picture of the cards for each entry.

Indeed I do....and now we know which one his "is".

Attachments

• DSC_00420042.JPG
    DSC_00420042.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 47
Top Bottom