Seedling identification- jack pine vs lodge pole pine

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have grown both of these species from seed. You will know 100% for certain this fall, or at least I will so update the thread. But in the meantime .. I'm fairly certain the darker green first photo is Jack pine and the second lighter photo is contorta. I say that with 95% certainty. The banksiana needles will get smaller with time, lots of sun and very little fertilizer when you start growing stuff you'll keep. The candles on my 6" banksiana seedlings were 11" long. Very vigorous when young
Contorta, latifolia, murrayana do not have 3 needles and all darker green.

Last edited:

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Contorta, latifolia, murrayana do not have 3 needles and all darker green.
It’s possible those are pitch pine seedlings but we’ll know soon. I would hope Sheffield’s is better than that. I guess I’m once again giving someone too much credit. I can’t explain away the 3 needles if it’s the entire tree, but any pine can sport a few “wrong clusters”. Guess I should have asked that

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hello all, its been a bit since this post was started. The pines have had a bit of time to mature and they both are two needle pines. The three needles seemed to be a juvenile anomaly. Lets look at the late winter candles. Again... Jack pine or Lodgepole??

IMG_9303.jpgIMG_9302.jpgIMG_9255.jpgIMG_9251.jpg

TCEvan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here are my jack pine buds. Covered in white resin, tough not as intensely as yours, and some have "multiple buds within a bud," similar to your extra long one. If the photos you posted earlier of the candles that had extra candles sprouting from them are the same as the white resin covered ones, I would be extremely confident they are jack pines. I have thousands of jack pines on my hunting property and those candles look exactly like young Jack pines.

PXL_20240205_182423837.jpg

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Bingo! Finally a differing identifier. Resinous buds! Last week when I saw the difference in the buds I figured I had a solid indicator. The photo of the “intense resin buds” is being ground grown.

Thank you, mystery solved. Now I just need to tag each one properly.

TCEvan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would be cautious with in-ground growing jack pine. I'm not sure how the roots will look in a regular yard, but in the wild they send roots very, very far horizontally. I've tried digging several feet away from the trunk of relatively small ones and found absolutely no feeder roots. They mostly grow in sand around here, so I think the roots would be more likely to stay close in a yard where they are likely in better soil and getting watered with some frequency.

They thrive in almost drought-like conditions and can't tolerate shade at all. Branches that are shaded out will die very quickly in favor of branches that receive more sun. They also need a very cold dormancy, here in northern Michigan is about the farthest south of their natural range, so I would probably not give them any winter protection in St. Louis once you dig them up.

Beautiful trees at maturity with a wide range of interesting shapes, especially in sandy scrub where they can get the sun they need. Great bark too even when quite young, and short needles once they get a little older.

PXL_20230602_221423288.jpg
scrubby older jack pine in the sandy barrens they are are found in here

PXL_20230602_215748865.jpg
close up of the fantastic bark of another jack pine in the same area.

Top Bottom