Seiju elm questions

linlaoboo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello,

I rescued this from Walmart a year or 2 ago and I plan to keep it in its current compact size. I need some suggestion and advise on if I should do a total defoliation to improve branch structure? I've not defoliated an elm before and can I simply strip all leaves off of each branch with my fingers or use a tweezer of some kind?

About the silhouette, I have prunned this tree to form 2 split clusters when it grew wild like this in March but now it's all messed up again. I have fertilized it very lightly to slow its growth. Its height is about 8 inches above the soil. Another reason to defoliate would be for me to see the branches so I can wire some up. . . but the branches are so thin and soft I might not be able to wire. . . will see. . .

After I bought it
black berry 2010 224.jpgblack berry 2010 228.jpg

Now
CIMG2387.jpg

CIMG2386.jpg

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Linlaoboo, if you clip the new growth on the branches they will respond by shooting out newer growth which comes off the side of the branch further back thickening the branch structure, adding more fine branching to the tree making it appear fuller.

ed

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, that's a funky looking tree :p . If you're happy with the trunk shape the way it is, then I think definitely the next thing would be to work on developing better, more convincing branches and at some point defoliating to create ramification, but it seems to me that the branches right now just need to get thicker to be in better proportion with the trunk, so maybe let the branches that you want to keep grow out for a bit without clipping them back until the branch bases are a better, more proportionate size.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or, like Ed said, maybe developing ramification in and of itself would help to thicken the branches at the base.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I think that is a Chinese elm, and maybe not a seiju. Seiju bark looks like this. Very warty, Even young, with leaves about 1/4" long.

Either way, defoliating this tree won't improve the branching any better than pruning every shoots back, leaving only 2 leaves on each shoot. Each leaf has a dormant bud at the base, which, when pruned, will activate and grow another shoot, thereby doubling the branching. It's more predictable and less work. Than defoliating It will grow again within a few weeks; it looks very healthy.

Last edited:

linlaoboo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
daygan and Ed,

Thanks for pointing out the branches need thickening. I can continue to prune off new growth at the tips once in a while to maintain the silhuette but not too frequently since it'll spend energy making leaves rather than thickening the branch. I suppose by winter time the tree drops its leafs and I can always check out the ramification, branch structure to improve it by trimming or wiring. It's just I'd like to be able to see the branches better and all the leaves are blocking the view -)

I've also read here http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATdefoliating.htm that Chinese elms can be defoliated by stripping the leaves off with hands in May and if it's vigorous enough after mid summer it can be done again. But it's an UK site and I'm in NE US. That ought to really improve ramification huh?

It's funny the trunk is shaped like a pair of legs with a bruised bud that never heals.

Last edited:

linlaoboo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think that is a Chinese elm, and maybe not a seiju. Seiju bark looks like this. Very warty, Even young, with leaves about 1/4" long.

Either way, defoliating this tree won't improve the branching any better than pruning every shoots back, leaving only 2 leaves on each shoot. Each leaf has a dormant bud at the base, which, when pruned, will activate and grow another shoot, thereby doubling the branching. It's more predictable and less work. Than defoliating It will grow again within a few weeks; it looks very healthy.

That's very good to know. I will save defoliation for another day or year then. Thanks!
About the warty bark, I have seen Charles on Youtube say that it doesn't get corky until older. http://youtu.be/LfUvsLrDrps. You might be right but it's definately different from my Chinese elm with smooth bark, straighter branches and larger leaves up to 1/2".
bonsai015.jpg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would let branches grow out till' they harden and you can see side buds then cut back to 2.Then wire in spring.I have found that with any tree it seems better to definately let that first flush harden off,then cut back.Can do that a couple few times in growing season then wire in spring.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thats not a Seiju, they look like they look even when little.
The description of pruning back to 2 or three leaves is the way to go, if you goggle Andy Rutledge he has a big article written on pruning elms. If these are all long unramified branches it will be kind of lean after pruning, but they take off with new shoots quickly.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely not seiju, might be catlin, but all that really doesn't make any difference. You need to build some branches. Everyone here has given some good advice.

linlaoboo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Awsome, thanks everyone.

so I prune it tonight and got rid of branches that came out the same point and cut back to 2 to 3 leaves as suggested. The lower branches are weaks since too many of them grew from the same point from which I removed the weaker ones so the remainder can thicken. I like the canopy up top with some structure eventhough there are some thicker branches than the lower onese, will work on reversing that.

CIMG2446.jpg

CIMG2448.jpg

CIMG2464.jpg

CIMG2472.jpg

CIMG2467.jpg

CIMG00012012061422439.jpg

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Pretty unique looking little tree. I like the hard cut sideways halfway up
Ian

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Then I'm walking in Memphis
Walking with my feet ten feet off of Beale"

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice job.
Like that song too...always felt like you're not supposed to admit it though.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice job.
Like that song too...always felt like you're not supposed to admit it though.

Me too, "Baker Street" is another one. Love that song but somehow it seems like a closet song never to be admitted to. Love brass though so there you go.

Looks like John Lennon reincarnated.

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Me too, "Baker Street" is another one. Love that song but somehow it seems like a closet song never to be admitted to. Love brass though so there you go.

Looks like John Lennon reincarnated.

Dave Ramsey ruined Baker Street for me. Now when I hear it, I start thinking about a beans and rice budget.
John Lennon good, just don't let it start looking like Yoko...bad reverse taper, and always in need of a haircut...

logan3

Yamadori
Reaction score
Reminds me of the "Keep on Truckin" guy from the 60's&70's lol!!!

Top Bottom