Sekka Hinoki trouble

Oerc201

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PRN (as needed). The one I still have in a more organic nursery/bonsai like blend from
the arboretum is in good health, but the soil holds moisture longer than the 2 hinokis I just potted
up in a more inorganic bonsai soil. Best not to dry out entirely.

Thank you yeah thats my issue it is in nursery soil not my own so its a little harder to see. So just wait until is a little on the dryer side and water?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you yeah thats my issue it is in nursery soil not my own so its a little harder to see. So just wait until is a little on the dryer side and water?
Yes, though most often for my work schedule this becomes a proactive task
knowing it isn’t ready, but would be beyond critical to wait till late afternoon or evening.
Soooo, the nursery soil CAN be a positive thing.

Oerc201

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, though most often for my work schedule this becomes a proactive task
knowing it isn’t ready, but would be beyond critical to wait till late afternoon or evening.
Soooo, the nursery soil CAN be a positive thing.
Thank you i appreciate the info

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Quick update over the year. 1st Last December, then January looks almost dead, then 2 pics today.
I HATE DE 8822 has caused problems in almost every application including this repot for me.
Might as well use cracker crumbs. Today soil is topped with a few shakes of Asaake after removing some soggy moss
from the nebari.
1605840475296.png
Dec 2019
1605840540184.png
Jan 2020
DSC_5236.JPG
Today got its first wire Nov 2020
DSC_5240.JPG
Letting sunlight in

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quick update over the year. 1st Last December, then January looks almost dead, then 2 pics today.
I HATE DE 8822 has caused problems in almost every application including this repot for me.
Might as well use cracker crumbs. Today soil is topped with a few shakes of Asaake after removing some soggy moss
from the nebari.
View attachment 340392
Dec 2019
View attachment 340393
Jan 2020
View attachment 340394
Today got its first wire Nov 2020
View attachment 340396
Letting sunlight in
I am glad it made it. It looked like a goner. I am had no issues with 8822 but I mix it with pumice, lava or anything else at hand.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I really don't understand why this was repotted in October. That should have been a first warning sign.
Hinoki are from an Ocean/Marine Climate so they dislike very harsh winter weather including frosts.

The room temp you mentioned is roughly the winter climate for Oceanic Climates so it should be fine. I recommend you let it be and keep the soil moist but not too wet.

I think it unfortunate that you were put through this but I greatly suspect that the tree suffered a lot more than it normally would due to the repot.
Weak tree + bad climate = dead/dying
Plus that cultivar is a dwarf type which is more sensitive.

All the best for this poor thing in the future. Keep us updated
good input. contrarily, my parents have two in ground hinoki (7' beauties) and they live a block from the ocean with harsh winters. in the Northeast of US.

the late season repot might have been the demise here...from my understanding theres much fewer trees that prefer that time of year for repot.

hinoki cypress are great looking in my opinion, hope the OPs recovers.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am glad it made it. It looked like a goner. I am had no issues with 8822 but I mix it with pumice, lava or anything else at hand.
Thanks penumbra. I've heard of inconsistent batches of NAPA 8822 guess I got one.
I've only lightly mixed it in, stays wet and smears like chalk if you try to pick it up once in use.
Very fragile, undersized, super dusty breathing hazard,
hope the OPs recovers.
Thank you, you must have not read my post before yours.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I suspect that somehow the soil broke down and the tree went through a spell of too wet of a condition. I have a few of the little beasties and winter is never a problem for me, I live in Michigan with Michigan winters and they do fine as long as kept out of the wind. and set on the ground.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice work bringing this guy back. It looked like it was on the verge of grim death. You're not usually able to bring them back from that and especially a conifer. It looks like its got potential.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I suspect that somehow the soil broke down and the tree went through a spell of too wet of a condition. I have a few of the little beasties and winter is never a problem for me, I live in Michigan with Michigan winters and they do fine as long as kept out of the wind. and set on the ground.
Thanks Vance I think you're right. The soil was an unknown mix, and I did not bare root it when I potted it up
given its health. Had I only not used the DE this time I would feel better about it through 2021.

Are you saying you have several Sekkas or hinoki in general? Your answer is highly important
to me to better understand the cold hardiness of Sekka.
I'm 95% positive Sekka is Chamaecyparis obtusa chirimen, zone 5-9 as most hinoki.
The term or name Sekka only pertinent to the hobby and Japan.

Nice work bringing this guy back. It looked like it was on the verge of grim death. You're not usually able to bring them back from that and especially a conifer. It looks like its got potential.
Thank you @misfit11 . Plant City was willing to send a replacement in Spring if it didnt pull through, but 5 replacements
would never replace this, the best nebari in my collection. Wasnt risking wiring it earlier, but sure wish I could have now.
My Golden hinoki took a set back last year from generally gentle wiring. Now I'm paranoid yet again with this one.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

Attachments

• DSC_0657 copy 2.JPG
    DSC_0657 copy 2.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0656 copy.JPG
    DSC_0656 copy.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 61

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would love to get my hands on a Sekka. Mine are the more common Gracilis nanna, and a couple I do not remember the species. I know another is a Verides.
View attachment 340753
View attachment 340753
View attachment 340753
This link ^ at Bonsai Empire mentions both Chirimen and Sekka separately.

You can order Sekka from http://www.internationalbonsai.com/...hfrom=&searchto=&searchsmall_610780656=Search
for $65 #1 size when they come available. Currently unavailable. Pretty sure Bjorn has them for $149 pre bonsai.
I got one from international bonsai a page or 2 back in this thread Vance. Worth the price, but if Chirimen actually is the same
they're readily available at Conifer Kingdom for less than $50 #1 size.
@Vance Wood you're getting snow Tuesday.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This link ^ at Bonsai Empire mentions both Chirimen and Sekka separately.

You can order Sekka from http://www.internationalbonsai.com/...hfrom=&searchto=&searchsmall_610780656=Search
for $65 #1 size when they come available. Currently unavailable. Pretty sure Bjorn has them for $149 pre bonsai.
I got one from international bonsai a page or 2 back in this thread Vance. Worth the price, but if Chirimen actually is the same
they're readily available at Conifer Kingdom for less than $50 #1 size.
@Vance Wood you're getting snow Tuesday.
Thanks for the info. Hope you're right about the snow, we have had a very dry winter so far, it's been cold and dry.

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
(Loads of edits, sorry)

Re the differences, I’ve got Sekka and Chirimen and they are VERY similar, Chirimen has whitish bits under the foliage and is a bit less “bubbly” where the new buds/shoots are. Neither are anything like Nana Gracilis which is huge by comparison and in my case can be mainly identified by it’s determination to drop all internal branches!!!

There‘s also “golden bud” and “silver bud” Sekka now according to Matsuyoshi’s videos on youtube << (WELL worth a watch)

I’ve got another “dwarf Hinoki” that’s much smaller than Gracilis and less annoying, still looks like the full size foliage but I can’t find a firm ID on it. I did think it was actually SAWARA Tsukumo but when I had them both to hand maybe not. Current best guess is it’s Tsuyama Hinoki (a region not a cultivar, like Itoigawa Juniper).

Tsukumo Sawara can look seriously similar to Sekka Hinoki as well according to google

Last edited:

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Do you have pics of the sekka from international bonsai?
post #44 a page back. I'll have to get a more up date photo here soon.
I plan to pot it up this Spring. This is one of those conifers you need to be proactive with
cleaning and pruning, and not delay styling as soon as it's healthy and recovered good, from any recent insults.
There‘s also “golden bud” and “silver bud” Sekka now according to Matsuyoshi’s videos on youtube << (WELL worth a watch)
Thanks. Got a link for one ?
Would be nice to see pic of the difference in Sekka and Chirimen if you get the time:)
My Sekka both have the whitish light blue undertones, on the bottom of the foliage
as you can see in the pics of the new one in post #44

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for the info. Hope you're right about the snow, we have had a very dry winter so far, it's been cold and dry.
well as weather has it, that post was nearly 2 months ago, so I haven't had a gander at the national radar
North of Ohio for a while. Emmisions release data, is one thing that has trended better with Covid.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Do you have pics of the sekka from international bonsai?
1st pic it's on the right, was Feb 26 last year when I got it, 2nd and 3rd pic is this evening.
1611267448945.png DSC_5759.JPG DSC_5761.JPG
All my plants are going through a freeze/thaw cycle every day.
I normally keep everything under my sunroom all Winter, but just keeping them close by to it
and most on the ground this year. A couple nights coming ~ 20ºF so will move these under cover for those days.
So far I've only watered once this Winter with everything exposed.

Top Bottom