shall we stop?

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
KK's Okay, the boards get a little boring sometimes without some heated discussion .We all live in a world with a lot of tension, especially those who have high pressure jobs, not me, I'm just plain ornery. At the very least, we get to vent here sometimes. You have to admit or not, your choice, that it makes for entertainment. If KK bothers you, ignore him, that's what I do ;)

Harry

how true!!!

and unlike some people KK can take it as well as he can dish it out. Have a little fun people....someone might accuse you of misplacing a few sticks after pruning otherwise!!! life is short.. FSU!!!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
These flame wars are the reason I keep my hand on the bonsai and not on the mouse. Most people I know feel the same way. Dont even bother logging into BTalk or here anymore. It's all a joke..:(
Spend my time reading Blogs and looking at pictures these days.
Carry on.

This is what I fear. I don't want anyone to stay away as this is my only opportunity to learn from many of you.

I personally have very much enjoyed the last few days on here and as you can see traffic and contribution is way up. Further, spite of the cantankerous delivery of some, there has been a great deal of excellent and valuable information and experience shared. To me this is priceless.

Just covering the last few threads on: sealing, water drainage, foliar feeding and superthrive. A newb like myself can take the pulse of people I will never be able to match in skill or knowledge.

An additional benefit, if one's skin is thick enough, is it has been "laugh out loud" funny at times. Who knew there were people with heads this hard?

Just a word about studies from a person who has done many and studied many more. Nearly every study is done for the financial gain of the institution performing the study. I know it is sad, but the truth is you can skew your data to say nearly anything you want. Researchers can be unscrupulous in this way sometimes.

It should also be noted that the validity of a study increases in direct proportion to the control over all variables. If you set up your research well you stand a better chance of establishing causality of (normally) one variable (at least to a degree of statistical significance).

What this means is studies are only valid (to the same degree) under the controlled conditions in which they are performed. This is why results from certain studies may or may not apply when other variables are introduced.

That said, there have been many discoveries made that apply broadly.

You just have to keep an open mind and consider all available facts.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
This is what I fear. I don't want anyone to stay away as this is my only opportunity to learn from many of you.

I personally have very much enjoyed the last few days on here and as you can see traffic and contribution is way up. Further, spite of the cantankerous delivery of some, there has been a great deal of excellent and valuable information and experience shared. To me this is priceless.

Just covering the last few threads on: sealing, water drainage, foliar feeding and superthrive. A newb like myself can take the pulse of people I will never be able to match in skill or knowledge.

An additional benefit, if one's skin is thick enough, is it has been "laugh out loud" funny at times. Who knew there were people with heads this hard?

Just a word about studies from a person who has done many and studied many more. Nearly every study is done for the financial gain of the institution performing the study. I know it is sad, but the truth is you can skew your data to say nearly anything you want. Researchers can be unscrupulous in this way sometimes.

It should also be noted that the validity of a study increases in direct proportion to the control over all variables. If you set up your research well you stand a better chance of establishing causality of (normally) one variable (at least to a degree of statistical significance).

What this means is studies are only valid (to the same degree) under the controlled conditions in which they are performed. This is why results from certain studies may or may not apply when other variables are introduced.

That said, there have been many discoveries made that apply broadly.

You just have to keep an open mind and consider all available facts.

HUH ?

Harry

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
how true!!!

and unlike some people KK can take it as well as he can dish it out. Have a little fun people....someone might accuse you of misplacing a few sticks after pruning otherwise!!! life is short.. FSU!!!

Should we all meet up somewhere for a glass of wine, I bet we would all be cordial and have a hell of a good time, because in the end we all love little trees in pots. Ang, I would make a trip just meet you and your lovely wife sometime. I like people who enjoy life and don't take themselves too serious. Ego's are a curse for some people, they suck the fun out of life.

Harry

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
:D

Translation -- Kong may see different results due to unaccounted for or uncontrolled variables. (just a possibility)

Thanks for the translation, remember keep it simple for us old guys. :D

Harry

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
how true!!!

YEP! I have truly enjoyed the banter. Yea it gets a bit caustic at times but I love a good "discussion".

Harry you have a good point we are all bound by our love for the little trees and this point can unify us. If you all want to get together for a glass of wine, come to my place, Las Vegas is nice this time of year.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gary, I take it that was a redneck attempt at humor or was it part of the general strafing of other nations? Bet you knew the Governor of California came from Austria. I knew Walter originated from there too.

Ash :D

I'll give any country an IOU for 50.00 bucks to take Mr. Freeze back....

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I'll give any country an IOU for 50.00 bucks to take Mr. Freeze back....

Okay, send me the 50 bucks and I'll see he gets deported, but first, who is Mr. Freeze back, help me out here, I'm connected. :D

Harry

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Harry,

I believe Al is referring to the governor of his fair state.

Arnold played the character Mr. Freeze in one of the Batman movies.

Regards,
Paul

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
btw FSU does not mean Florida State University.... just realized someone might mistake me for a sports fan....

and we all meet up at the GSBF convention this year.... already got my room booked.... tho it would be nice if the convetion forms were online... hint hint hint....

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
As a matter of fact I have been in many... I even stayed in the Price Tower (remember i used to live in Tulsa).. before becoming a software engineer I had planned to study architecture... my inspiration was FLW... I even went so far as to visit the California houses as well. Falling Water is my current goal.. and one day I hope to visit.

I live one and a half blocks from the largest single site collection of FLW building in the US. It's truly a stunning place to visit and I often take it for granted driving by with no more than a glance. Designed by him but built by students. Could not afford tuition? Start mixing concrete!

To call him a SOB would be an understatement. There is a report that he cane whipped a landscaper who decided to plant some shrubbery adjacent to an entrance of one building on site. After the whipping he let it be known that if he wanted bushes planted he would have put it on the *%@# drawing!

Sorry for the off topic post. Carry on.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
He also used a method we refer to as "Exploding the box" where he used low ceilings to drive people from the front door into the main portion of the home where they would be met by tall expansive ceilings and open spaces (one of the cali homes made me feel 7' tall in the entry way). Homes were also quite small in comparison to today's oversized useless buildings of ego.

Frank was a master of corner windows.. especially frameless ones... they leaked... but it was an ingenious idea none the less. Given the opportunity to design my own home I will certainly draw great inspiration from the greatest architect of the 20th century (I've read he liked to question the 20th century bit).

You need to come visit this campus! The covered walkways that cut thru the campus make you want to duck at every elevation change. By the way it's Florida Southern College.

When the building were done he offered to design a new city hall. Our stupid mayor turned him down (biggest mistake in the history of the city).

The College President called Frank one day to complain about a leaking skylight above his desk in his office. Frank told him to move the desk and promptly hung up. My hero!

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As a matter of fact I have been in many... I even stayed in the Price Tower (remember i used to live in Tulsa).. before becoming a software engineer I had planned to study architecture... my inspiration was FLW... I even went so far as to visit the California houses as well. Falling Water is my current goal.. and one day I hope to visit.

Ang,
I should slap my own face for contributing to this waste of a thread on the 'fight site' , but the FLW comment caught my interest.
Do you have the "Frank LLoyd Wright, Fifty Views of Japan. A 1905 Photo Album" ?
If not, I'll send it to you free ....with you and Vic's next order :D ;) It's a like-new copy of the book of his photos from a 1905 trip to Japan.
D..

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Ang,
I should slap my own face for contributing to this waste of a thread on the 'fight site' , but the FLW comment caught my interest.
Do you have the "Frank LLoyd Wright, Fifty Views of Japan. A 1905 Photo Album" ?
If not, I'll send it to you free ....with you and Vic's next order :D ;) It's a like-new copy of the book of his photos from a 1905 trip to Japan.
D..

Too bad his Japanese hotel( I believe) was destroyed, it was an amazing building.

Harry

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
KK's Okay, the boards get a little boring sometimes without some heated discussion .We all live in a world with a lot of tension, especially those who have high pressure jobs, not me, I'm just plain ornery. At the very least, we get to vent here sometimes. You have to admit or not, your choice, that it makes for entertainment. If KK bothers you, ignore him, that's what I do ;)

Harry

That bit about common sense and unbiased opinion Harry......I was just kidding.;)

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ang,
D..

I don't have it and I would really love that !!!! What a wonderful offer... thank you very much!!

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Too bad his Japanese hotel( I believe) was destroyed, it was an amazing building.

Harry

interestingly Harry during the earthquake that occured soon after it was finished managed not to destroy it. I don't know if it was demonished later ..... the book Dale referenced I believe contains photos from the trip when FLW designed the hotel... alll the way down to the China....

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ang, I would make a trip just meet you and your lovely wife sometime. I like people who enjoy life and don't take themselves too serious. Ego's are a curse for some people, they suck the fun out of life.

Harry

Consider yourself officially invited.... And you can even go check out the very non traditional trees in the garden... its a great place to spend a nice warm day in the shade... :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The Imperial Hotel was demolished in 1968... but the entrance lobby was moved to the Meiji Village.

Ang isn't the only FLW lover in the house...lol

;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom