Shimpaku

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I purchased this shimp back in 2004 and can't believe it's been six years already. It's coming along quite nicely but I have to be careful it doesn't get away from me with the foliage. It's already starting to look a little too much out of proportion with the trunk. Pinch Pinch Pinch.:)

I also have to work that bottom branch yet by cleaning it up some and do some wiring on it so as to match the other branches.

The first pic was taken at purchase and the second a few days ago.

Attachments

• shimp #2 4-17(46)before.jpg
    shimp #2 4-17(46)before.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 163
  • shmp11.jpg
    shmp11.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
nice tree Thomas !!

keep it green,
Harry

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
I like this tree! Unconventional for this country and definitely not so Japanese, but very natural and pleasing. It evokes a feeling of a very tall and elegant tree. It reminds me of the style of juniper bonsai that is coming out of Malaysia and Indonesia. Thanks for showing it. Awesome pot too!

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It reminds me of the style of juniper bonsai that is coming out of Malaysia and Indonesia.

Thanks Si,
I take that as a huge compliment because I think the Indonesia bonsai is the worlds best.:) Just my opinion of course.:rolleyes:

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I finally found some time to work the branches some more so here is an update.:)

Attachments

• shimp21.jpg
    shimp21.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 65

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I finally found some time to work the branches some more so here is an update.:)

This is a beautiful tree. Everything about it is spectacular. i really like the pot and the low branch works very well with the design.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whoever decided to keep that lower branch is genius, really makes the tree pop. Good stuff Thomas.

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thomas, Really love your shimpaku - and boy am I jealous. Mine just mope along. I would be careful not to let your apex get any taller, maybe even reduce it just a tiny bit more?

This is one great tree!!!

Tom

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I'm glad everyone likes it. As I mentioned before, I have to be real careful it doesn't get away from me anymore than it has. I sort of liked the way it looked a few years back when it wasn't so full and the foliage and trunk were more in proportion with each other. I also wish I had the patience that Shane Carey has. If you have ever seen any of his shimps you will know what I mean. He will wire every branch down to the smallest foliage. Talk about a manicure job. Some people don't go for that much manicuring but I sure do. I know I would probably spend more time with this guy and probably some of my other junipers if it weren't so darn hot for so long here. Heck Harry's place will probably start cooling off before mine.:(

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Well I'm glad everyone likes it. As I mentioned before, I have to be real careful it doesn't get away from me anymore than it has. I sort of liked the way it looked a few years back when it wasn't so full and the foliage and trunk were more in proportion with each other. I also wish I had the patience that Shane Carey has. If you have ever seen any of his shimps you will know what I mean. He will wire every branch down to the smallest foliage. Talk about a manicure job. Some people don't go for that much manicuring but I sure do. I know I would probably spend more time with this guy and probably some of my other junipers if it weren't so darn hot for so long here. Heck Harry's place will probably start cooling off before mine.:(

Hey Thomas, I appreciate junipers that are full and healthy, but for some reason when they're trimmed and styled, there is a beauty about the sparse foliage that shows the foliage and the jin and shari the excites me.

keep it green,
Harry

Top Bottom