Shohin Tsukumo Cypress - no clue...

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I just picked this little beauty up at Lone Pine Gardens in Sebastopol, CA. It has a 1" trunk and stands around 7" tall. So far I have a terrible track record with cypress (monterey, tsukumo, hinoki, etc.) and I really want to do this one justice. I like it so much I even picked out an unused Yamaaki pot from my collection for it. I see the front as being somewhere around the first picture, and there is plenty of branching. Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSCF1825.JPG
    DSCF1825.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF1821.JPG
    DSCF1821.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF1822.JPG
    DSCF1822.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCF1823.JPG
    DSCF1823.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF1824.JPG
    DSCF1824.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 55

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like a fun tree to style in a slant position. But I won't give any advice in fear of jinxing you... I haven't had much luck with cypress either.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thats a nice looking tree, with a great start like that you can't go wrong. I am sure there are some here who could help you with cypress, I had one, lets just say it was not a good experience for the tree.

ed

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Brian.. A couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to style a large, old tsukumo cypress for the owner of the nursery that I go to. This tree can have extremely bad die back if not taken care of and pruned properly. Also, if you do cut the foliage, you should only cut back or pinch to where is is still light green. Trimming beyond the green or to old, dark green foliage may yield that area incapable of producing new foliage.

I think that this tree is in good shape. I would just designate the main, side, back, and a couple of front branches and then wire accordingly. If there is already some dieback in the interior, you may have to put alot of movement in the branches. This will shorten the branches so that the foliage appears closer to the trunk. Also, you may want to leave more branches than you need... just in case a branch dies. Also, in my opinion, I would not style cypress in Fall, but wait until Winter is completely over. This is because if you style in the Fall and then branches begin to die during the winter, you could be left with quite a bare looking tree. In Spring, you will know what is alive and what can be worked with.

I hope this is helpful

Last edited:
Top Bottom