Signs of spring 2023?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yesterday as I was checking on my sleeping trees I noticed a few spots of green among my J. larches. Yep those are little green buds starting to pop. Usually these guys don’t bud out until mid-February but we’ve had a warm January which arosed them from their slumber. My American larches also have a few buds but not as many as these, especially the 2-3 year old saplings. I guess I’ll need to protect these later on this week when night time temps are predicted to dip back into the low 20s here, so I guess I need to practice my 2 step. I usually don’t worry if it is going to stay in the upper 20s but 22 is just too low.

A2C56D65-55CB-4843-8E79-AE0C0C8CC0B4.jpeg

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
snow drops are flowering in Eastern PA, ume are putting on a show too. This Saturday's low is predicted to be 3 degrees F (-16 C) so I'm hoping my trees keep their eyes shut a few more weeks, so far so good

keithl

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just noticed this as well. Kojo No Mai showing some green for the flowers about 1.5 months earlier than last year. My tridents/JMs/hornbeams buds are just starting to extend as well. We are very cold this week but next week back to above 40. Looks like its going to be a ton of shuffling this year unless we get some more cold to slow them down.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If they are budding out, its too late to slow them down.
Be very careful if you get a freeze or a lot of wind on a cold day

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I’ll be having these same concerns in 2 months🤣. Can’t wait. 4 degrees F. Currently.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A sign of late winter for me.View attachment 470770

What tree is that John?

It's funny, I'm in the North of England too, but nothing is moving here, except ume buds getting bigger. I'm at 250m above sea level. As I drive downhill to about 100m, everything is starting to show signs of growing. We're 2-3 weeks behind those at 100m.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here in Georgia the signs are everywhere. We have forsythia blooming, all the early bulbs are blooming and I have azalea buds already showing some color. Luckily, the next 2 weeks look mild.

john blanch

Yamadori
Reaction score
What tree is that John?

It's funny, I'm in the North of England too, but nothing is moving here, except ume buds getting bigger. I'm at 250m above sea level. As I drive downhill to about 100m, everything is starting to show signs of growing. We're 2-3 weeks behind those at 100m.
Hi, some kind of winter flowering Viburnum.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I‘ll know for sure it’s spring when the length of the day increases to the point that it equals the length of the night. This year, that will happen on March 20. It’s written on my calendar.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Spring arrived here, coz now I have the sun in my eye during my 30minute drive to work, except for this 5sec bit when I’m crossing a bridge32EB09F8-1A86-4470-BAB2-6CE407A72117.jpeg

Top Bottom