Small Eastern Hemlock development

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
How tall is it again?
This is quite nice, but you are right, foliage pads are not forming. Perhaps more time?

One of the better eastern hemlocks I've seen. You don't see that many, and perhaps that trouble forming pads of foliage is part of the reason.

But this is quite good.

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
David, Is this the time of year when you typically prune back hard?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
David, Is this the time of year when you typically prune back hard?
No. I’m getting everything done a little early with the social .....you know. Just a couple of weeks.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice work and I know it will handle the current reduction in stride. If you really want to get some defined pads you may need to go even harder; but maybe one branch at a time throughout the season to give the tree as a whole a chance to grow. In combination with light trimming of extending growth, you may yet tame the growth.
Just an idea without any real experience to back it up as I haven’t delved much into the refinement stage. Soon though. I have air layering of sacrifice growth planned for this year. And repotting into a Sara Rayner pot next year.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
How tall is it again?
This is quite nice, but you are right, foliage pads are not forming. Perhaps more time?

One of the better eastern hemlocks I've seen. You don't see that many, and perhaps that trouble forming pads of foliage is part of the reason.

But this is quite good.
The small one you're referring to is 19" from soil line. This photo is of my big one, it's 38" high, double in size. I don't have the pad problem with it. The reason I started the smaller one was to experiment with "how small can you go" and still have it work visually. This smaller size really only looks nice when it's budding out. I may just start letting it get bigger if it doesn't respond this year. That would make it bark up much faster.

Attachments

• IMG_3430.jpg
    IMG_3430.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 112

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How tall is it again?

But this is quite good.
For those wishing to form pads on hemlock I would suggest a layered branch structure in an elongated diamond shape. This has implication for pruning as several smaller branches are retained to wire over the main branch forming the layered cover and the centre of the pad formation. It is important to remove downward growing branches and wire smaller branches in formation on a regular basis. The best description I have seen of this process is contained in David De Groot's book " Principals of Bonsai Design" Excellent material on variety of pad formations and the species they are most suitable for. Chapter Seven on Branch Structure. It takes some practice but gives excellent guidance for a variety of formations. Longer side branches form the periphery, medium closer in and shorter over the middle of the main branch. Once positioned downward growth is removed, Upward new shoot growth is pruned to create density and fill in the pad. Prior to pad formation the branches are pruned in length to form the elongated diamond shape overlooking the branch from above. When doing it for the first few times wire from the inside out and position branches according to length an position. Leaving a few extra branches is important to ensure proper pad formation and density. Wire and position the branches flat, the new growth and branch position will form the depth and density of the pad over time. The only branches that will be a bit higher are the smaller ones position in line with and above the main branch.
Hope this ramming makes sense , if not refer to Davids notes and diagrams for extra help. It is one of those things easier to demonstrate then explain.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
20190826_120753[1].jpg

Here's one that I've been working on for a few years. It was languishing in the pot, so I put it in the ground for a couple of years to strengthen up. Lifted and repotted into a pond basket last summer. Plan was to reduce the top and side branch a little this spring, but it's looking a little pale, so I'll just leave it alone. The eventual plan is to reduce the top, shorten the long side branch, and allow the entire left side to grow unhindered, thicken, and strengthen.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This is a tree from earlier in the thread that I didn't really know where it was going and I felt I had to make a bold move. This fits in well with my downsizing both literally and figuratively. I've always wondered about shohin hemlock and this is my effort......anyone for a flat-top?? The photo doesn't do the tree justice. I'm liking it!! What I like most about it is the maintenance! Anyone want to talk about hedge pruning?

IMG_3528.JPGIMG_0256.jpegIMG_0257.jpegIMG_4255.JPG

Jiminsauga

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@ABCarve what are you currently using as your substrate? I've read through some of your older threads on EMH and you had mentioned a bagged premix, but are you still using it?

P.S. thanks for documenting your work with EHM, as you're said previously in your postings. There's still very little on the spieces as bonsai.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@ABCarve what are you currently using as your substrate? I've read through some of your older threads on EMH and you had mentioned a bagged premix, but are you still using it?

P.S. thanks for documenting your work with EHM, as you're said previously in your postings. There's still very little on the spieces as bonsai.
Currently they are in Aoki akadama, which I've been told is 80/20 akadama/pumice. I supplement that with 20% sifted Growstone. Growstone is an expanded glass which is no longer available. It's like a hard perlite. You could use lava instead....I will once my Growstone is gone. Aoki akadama is good stuff in that it's all the same size and less dust.

Jiminsauga

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Currently they are in Aoki akadama, which I've been told is 80/20 akadama/pumice. I supplement that with 20% sifted Growstone. Growstone is an expanded glass which is no longer available. It's like a hard perlite. You could use lava instead....I will once my Growstone is gone. Aoki akadama is good stuff in that it's all the same size and less dust.
Thanks, funny you mention growstone. I think I saw a few bags at my local hydroponics store. Maybe I should clear them out before it's all gone.

For your first repot after collecting did you maintain any of the native soil to help restart the cultures or did they go straight into your mix? Canadian hemlock being a conifer I'm unsure if I should be easing it over like I do with my pines.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Could this be similar to chicken grower grit (crushed granite)?
I've used it in my mixes before, not economical to ship but if a local
tack n feed store has it it's around $10/50# last bag I bought.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks, funny you mention growstone. I think I saw a few bags at my local hydroponics store. Maybe I should clear them out before it's all gone.

For your first repot after collecting did you maintain any of the native soil to help restart the cultures or did they go straight into your mix? Canadian hemlock being a conifer I'm unsure if I should be easing it over like I do with my pines.
See post #24-28. The younger the tree the more abuse it will take. I probably wouldn’t do this on an old tree.
The Growstone needs to be sifted to get the proper size, equivalent to the Aoki. You might get 50%. I use the big particles for my orchid mix.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Could this be similar to chicken grower grit (crushed granite)?
I've used it in my mixes before, not economical to ship but if a local
tack n feed store has it it's around $10/50# last bag I bought.
Not like it whatsoever. Growstone is very light. Some people don’t like it as it tends to float. I’ve not had that problem.

Jiminsauga

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
See post #24-28. The younger the tree the more abuse it will take. I probably wouldn’t do this on an old tree.
The Growstone needs to be sifted to get the proper size, equivalent to the Aoki. You might get 50%. I use the big particles for my orchid mix.
Thanks ABCarve

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I had a partial branch of winter 2022 just die off. Spent last season trying to fix it but it kinda opened up the structure. Also using aluminum wire for everything now. Tired of paying for copper and aluminum is so much easier to use.

The new pot has no feet other than the stand which is designed to go outside with the tree. There’s no finish on it and will simply turn weathered gray.

3CC512AF-3850-40D2-AB61-E5BB74DA2523.jpeg

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’m using a lot of saw cuts under branches to aid in pulling them down. All the guy wires are holding them in place. The cuts knit back together in one season and is a more permanent solution to holding them down since the trees have such a long memory. Their apical dominance will make the branches creep back up.

DE43044B-651A-4279-BC31-85AC44636058.jpeg

Top Bottom