some japanese maples seedlings i have going, from nice trees

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
paperbark maple, some crazy nice small leaf jap maples, hope i can get a third of
these to keep going, but all of them in the picture have been the survivors for mos now, with new growth

not sure what the ugly one with two branches on top is (?)

20210609_070157.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CoreSeverin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
nice! thats feally cool. I always go around my yard and scoop up any littlr seedling i can find and saplings are also fair game.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
nice! thats feally cool. I always go around my yard and scoop up any littlr seedling i can find and saplings are also fair game.
for sure. i have two massive norways in front yard. the ones pictured are from a public area under old imported specimen trees.

theres one growing from this tree in my photo

20210603_175918.jpg20201028_172242_2_resized.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
paperbark maple, some crazy nice small leaf jap maples,

Very nice ! Growing maples from seeds "is like a box of chocolates, etc." as I like to say, and it's always thrilling, what shall I get, will they turn into a beautiful Acer palmatum 'Swan' ? :)

I have these, sent to me from England, and as usual, not one of them is similar to the others, that's what happens with seeds from cultivars :

Semis21-Rich10_210609a.jpg

PS : I think that for some, the term "jap" is offensive. On other forums, it is advised to use "J. maple" or "Japanese Maple", or "J.M." but not the... three-letter word. Please... ☮️

I'm sure you don't mean to be offensive, but "j. maple" is shorter to write, isn't it ? So perhaps you could use a more neutral term.

If you want to edit your post but you can't, I'm sure that the moderators will help.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
paperbark maple, some crazy nice small leaf jap maples, hope i can get a third of
these to keep going, but all of them in the picture have been the survivors for mos now, with new growth

not sure what the ugly one with two branches on top is (?)

View attachment 379870
What is the ugly one? The big green one?
That looks like a red oak to me.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
What is the ugly one? The big green one?
That looks like a red oak to me.
the one with two branches going straight up? or the middle sapling in the big maple's soil?

the former could be an oak, im not sure what it is, the latter is a kousa dogwood i thought was a maple when i put it in there
pre bud break after it survived the winter. that dogwood has potential, getting some size

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
the one with two branches going straight up? or the middle sapling in the big maple's soil?

the former could be an oak, im not sure what it is, the latter is a kousa dogwood i thought was a maple when i put it in there
pre bud break after it survived the winter. that dogwood has potential, getting some size
I was thinking that the larger sapling in the big maples soil could be a red oak. Sounds like you figured it out to be a dogwood though.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I was thinking that the larger sapling in the big maples soil could be a red oak. Sounds like you figured it out to be a dogwood though.
i see why you thought it was an oak, that image makes it look like that w the warped edges
not a bad idea by you. i propped it from my dogwood last year and it somehow lived thru winter and went in with the maple repot

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
I’ve got 530 (yes I counted them 🤣) JM seeds in the fridge, from 4 different trees in a local botanical garden. I’ll be sowing them in September here, with hopes to grow 100 of them for sale after a year. Local market prices are around R100 (South African rands, ~$7.30) per seedling, with the market being VERY hungry for any Japanese maple material.

I’ll keep the best of the bunch for myself.

2A9E581B-3831-4036-B156-39CC4DD8644C.jpegBBAE6847-8263-4205-A804-55AB5A82B515.jpeg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
im sorry you were offended by the abbreviation

I wasn't, personally. Just thinking about those wo could be. I've never called my friends of different colours or origins "j***" or "n****" or whatever.

But I can see here and elsewhere race-motivated hate, and I think that using words that can be interpreted as derigatory should be avoided. It's not "political correctness", it's just that...

"Mal nommer les choses, jugeait Camus, c'est ajouter au malheur du monde. Ne pas nommer les choses, c'est nier notre humanité."

Albert Camus is often quoted as saying
Mal nommer les choses, c'est ajouter au malheur du monde.”

Smthg like "To name things badly is to add to the unhappiness of the world."

I live thousands of miles away, but I heard about the violence against Asian people in the US, of course because of a tiny minority. But when a tiny minority of racists get so much attention like killing people because of their origins, or trying to make a coup because a crook lured them into thinking that "democracy" is what they only think it is, I think it's essential not to use terms that can fuel racism and hatred.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
ve got 530 (yes I counted them 🤣) JM seeds in the fridge, from 4 different trees in a local botanical garden. I’ll be sowing them in September here, with hopes to grow 100 of them for sale after a year.

Here, we're June 6th, the beginning of a very likely hot and dry summer (it was 31°C today, at least 5° from the usual temperatures). You must be in what we see as the beginning of winter so it looks like a good future for your seeds.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I wasn't, personally. Just thinking about those wo could be. I've never called my friends of different colours or origins "j***" or "n****" or whatever.

But I can see here and elsewhere race-motivated hate, and I think that using words that can be interpreted as derigatory should be avoided. It's not "political correctness", it's just that...

"Mal nommer les choses, jugeait Camus, c'est ajouter au malheur du monde. Ne pas nommer les choses, c'est nier notre humanité."

Albert Camus is often quoted as saying
Mal nommer les choses, c'est ajouter au malheur du monde.”

Smthg like "To name things badly is to add to the unhappiness of the world."

I live thousands of miles away, but I heard about the violence against Asian people in the US, of course because of a tiny minority. But when a tiny minority of racists get so much attention like killing people because of their origins, or trying to make a coup because a crook lured them into thinking that "democracy" is what they only think it is, I think it's essential not to use terms that can fuel racism and hatred.
okay

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I’ve got 530 (yes I counted them 🤣) JM seeds in the fridge, from 4 different trees in a local botanical garden. I’ll be sowing them in September here, with hopes to grow 100 of them for sale after a year. Local market prices are around R100 (South African rands, ~$7.30) per seedling, with the market being VERY hungry for any Japanese maple material.

View attachment 379909View attachment 379910
that J maple park is wonderful! good luck with your seeds. Martha Stewart has a nice ones. Source: https://www.themarthablog.com/2018/11/my-colorful-japanese-maple-grove.html

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
that J maple park is wonderful! good luck with your seeds.

Thanks, the same with yours.

I wonder if I shall uproot them now and plant them in individual pots (even cutting the roots and applying hormones) or wait for next spring. I haven't decided yet. hesitation blues...

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

View attachment 379909View attachment 379910
Is there a bonsai nut seed swap? I feel like I could send you another 500 seeds from my tree when it turns.
I also have tuluja giants in large quantities...

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Is there a bonsai nut seed swap?

I swapped, or sent seeds in Europe, to BNut members or other people from other websites.
If you offer seeds, or say you want an exchange and ask the people who are interested to send you a private message, you will certainly have replies.
I even sent young seedlings to Ireland, Britain (when it was still in the EU), Greece, and of course France. Money has never been my concern, I got seeds in return, postal stamps, bonsai pots (that was from a friend who lives "in the south") and even a bottle that unfortunately got broken when it got to my place 😢
If you didn't live "across the pond" as the Britons say, I would gladly send you some of mine.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I got these today and am pretty hopeful I can get a few to go. From an awesome tree.
There's one of same saplings doing well from the batch I posted above...most those are. 30% sun
20210625_214050.jpg20210625_214126.jpg

Its from the tree above. No weed wacking going on around it because and actually construction dropped metal on the tree from roof and cut the mother tree down by 20%

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Was this a nice thread? I was too offended to open it. I'm Belgian but very sensitive.

Wait. How did I post this?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
progress...we had some outlying hot weather, then wet and rainy 2/3 days for a few weeks.
goal now will be to introduce the shelf to some more sun to get these moving. maybe lightly fertilize soon.

the two 'green' maples in these pics are different types of maples, the smaller leaf green ones i have are the ultimate goal,
those are from a nicer tree. i got true leaves showing on a good amount of them too

i split the group of purple and paperbarks to their own pots
20210714_081131.jpg
20210714_075843.jpg
20210714_081200.jpg20210713_183045.jpg

Top Bottom