Some pics from Golden State Bonsai Federation convention last weekend

Farwest

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@PaulH Thanks for posting the pictures of the exhibition trees. Very inspiring. The workshops were great and the convention participants were friendly. Observing Bjorn, Boon, Suthin, Kathy, Mitsuya, and others working away on trees all at once was really special. The reverence and obvious deep respect shown to the trailblazers of California bonsai and their students was so evident throughout the convention.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@PaulH Thanks for posting the pictures of the exhibition trees. Very inspiring. The workshops were great and the convention participants were friendly. Observing Bjorn, Boon, Suthin, Kathy, Mitsuya, and others working away on trees all at once was really special. The reverence and obvious deep respect shown to the trailblazers of California bonsai and their students was so evident throughout the convention.

@Farwest We have zone 9 somewhere in Oregon? If so, where?

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Kathy Shaner set up the display, and I respect her work, but that and a couple of other things didn't seem right.

Yes, had difficulties at the Kazari with Judging also. Still do.

I've been involved in recruiting show trees at several conventions and we have indeed solicited some of the finest private collections in Ca. and mostly been turned down for a variety of reasons, most often concern for the safety of their priceless trees.
I have lobbied for the exhibit to be judged and been shot down with the separate judged exhibit being a compromise. It seems that a lot of the California bonsai establishment are hesitant (afraid?) to have their trees judged.

Been there , done that while I was a trustee. No one is down with any sort of judging. Hilvers will listen, but it's done incorrectly.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm just trying to understand something here, did someone other than the participants decide how the trees were paired and staged? If that is true, then I can understand the reticence of some to bring trees to show. I can't imagine someone choosing for me those details. (this year at my show, they did break up one of my displays, and I put it back as soon as I got there.)

fore

Omono
Reaction score
This is why I don't post here anymore...I don't know why people have to bring their political views into every aspect of bonsai!...the Climate Change thread is another good example.

I wish we'd prohibit ALL political talk here and keep it on the hobby and our trees.
Now back into seclusion.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
This is why I don't post here anymore...I don't know why people have to bring their political views into every aspect of bonsai!...the Climate Change thread is another good example.

I wish we'd prohibit ALL political talk here and keep it on the hobby and our trees.
Now back into seclusion.
Because we are free thinking humans. If we all agreed on everything then 90 percent of what gets posted here would really be Bonsai. I think you know that’s not true and I’m tired of trying to convince people of that. If you really think about it, all of it boils down to one thing.... money. Bonsai is no different. Money decides people into classes and no one want to be told their third rate because they can’t go out and spend 500 for a decent price of material or a nice pot. So they post their shit here and when someone calls them on it, there’s hurt feelings and the snowflakes start calling you names and mean spirited. They know the truth, they just don’t want to look it square in the eye... cause it hurts.

Now if you don’t come here anymore cause you think the bullies are bad, then your not looking at bonsai the correct way. It has rules and it has parameters to be met. They cost money. So I agree if you want to be a naysayer to the elevation of the art, your probably right in not participating. I wanted to help elevate it but it seems I’m a bully so I am content working at home with my “Bonsai” and I will watch the less fortunate work on the sidelines.

If someone I respected came to my yard and said this has potential. This does not. I would do whatever that person said to do. It doesn’t work that way here. There are a few here that have the ability to improve the art as a collective at this forum, but no one to do it the way it should be done. That’s what is going on with this convention. It’s about how much money to raise and damn the trees.

Top Bottom