Some rockhounding finds. Potential for suiseki?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am amazed how similar your finds are to those from Virginia. The 7th picture looks like Unakite, our state stone, a mixture of feldspar and epidote with a dash of hornblend.

• Love
Reactions: JPH

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Flip that last one upside down, and you’ve got a passable waterfall stone, even if it won’t stay up without a stand or tray of sand. I don’t really understand much about suiseki, but it’s my impression that, while desirable, a broad-based mountain shape isn’t strictly necessary.

I’m also a fan of that swiss-cheese sandstone, whatever a geologist would call it.

JPH

Mame
Reaction score
I am amazed how similar your finds are to those from Virginia. The 7th picture looks like Unakite, our state stone, a mixture of feldspar and epidote with a dash of hornblend.
It is indeed a chunk of unakite! I have quite a lot of it, but that piece is the best one I've found so far.

I'll try to take some more photos of my humble collection. I find a lot of fossils too.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Flip that last one upside down, and you’ve got a passable waterfall stone, even if it won’t stay up without a stand or tray of sand. I don’t really understand much about suiseki, but it’s my impression that, while desirable, a broad-based mountain shape isn’t strictly necessary.

I’m also a fan of that swiss-cheese sandstone, whatever a geologist would call it.
I'd agree with the waterfall stone. You could upend it either way and have a decent example. Decent waterfall (and naturally formed) stones aren't all that common

JPH

Mame
Reaction score
Honestly it never dawned on me to display the rock this way. Sounds like it might work. The quartz banding goes all the way through so its visible on all sides.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Honestly it never dawned on me to display the rock this way. Sounds like it might work. The quartz banding goes all the way through so its visible on all sides.
all the better. "Two sided" stones are good. You can probably make a daiza (stand) for this one pretty easily.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
The first photo has some pretty nice water pool stones. I especially like the one lower left with the round "moon" image.

Boulder Bear

Yamadori
Reaction score
I REALLY love the piece that looks like a combination pool and thatched hut stone hybrid! What a killer find!

Top Bottom