Something a little different

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Being OCD can be a blessing as well as a curse. While I enjoy creating things to the best detail I can, it would actually be nice to just sit and do nothing sometime perhaps lol. Been working on this for a bit of time here & there in between waiting for customer rods to dry and such. Probably got about 20hrs into it over the past week total.

This is my Bonsai "Bag Ends" Hobbit Hole from Lord of The Rings. I had a couple ficus bonsai trees which I wanted to do something "different" with and the one has such a flat trunk on one side it is not really good for much other than something like this, so decided to make this. I had seen someone else online a couple years ago do a version of the Hobbit Hole and always wanted to do one myself but just never got around to it till now. It's all hand made, mostly out of hand carved foam, 1/4" wood, cut and varnished toothpicks, wire, the steps and chimney are carved foam, windows are water bottle caps painted, covered with cut toothpicks and varnished, rocks are hand made with quickrete, basically didn't want to buy anything store bought so made it all myself. Came out pretty neat looking and since the trees are Ficus I'll be able to keep it inside most the time in the office/shop to enjoy rather than outside with the rest of my bonsai trees. It will go out for some sun here & there but not to stay outside all the time.

C8uj1q.jpg

fLo8Dq.jpg

pPvRo4.jpg

FgkbON.jpg

sLvPqc.jpg

rFZZ2z.jpg

pN5xop.jpg

RMilKx.jpg

daA0XU.jpg

tn1r9j.jpg

SdsgJh.jpg

voMyl6.jpg

J16UU5.jpg

uHOiiF.jpg

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Being OCD can be a blessing as well as a curse. While I enjoy creating things to the best detail I can, it would actually be nice to just sit and do nothing sometime perhaps lol. Been working on this for a bit of time here & there in between waiting for customer rods to dry and such. Probably got about 20hrs into it over the past week total.

This is my Bonsai "Bag Ends" Hobbit Hole from Lord of The Rings. I had a couple ficus bonsai trees which I wanted to do something "different" with and the one has such a flat trunk on one side it is not really good for much other than something like this, so decided to make this. I had seen someone else online a couple years ago do a version of the Hobbit Hole and always wanted to do one myself but just never got around to it till now. It's all hand made, mostly out of hand carved foam, 1/4" wood, cut and varnished toothpicks, wire, the steps and chimney are carved foam, windows are water bottle caps painted, covered with cut toothpicks and varnished, rocks are hand made with quickrete, basically didn't want to buy anything store bought so made it all myself. Came out pretty neat looking and since the trees are Ficus I'll be able to keep it inside most the time in the office/shop to enjoy rather than outside with the rest of my bonsai trees. It will go out for some sun here & there but not to stay outside all the time.

C8uj1q.jpg

fLo8Dq.jpg

pPvRo4.jpg

FgkbON.jpg

sLvPqc.jpg

rFZZ2z.jpg

pN5xop.jpg

RMilKx.jpg

daA0XU.jpg

tn1r9j.jpg

SdsgJh.jpg

voMyl6.jpg