Sometimes you get what you ask for--snow

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
5" or so in my neck of the woods. Fortunately nothing hanging over my winter storage area. Hopefully it's all cool and shady enough to encourage the snow to stick around and keep my trees buried. More likely though it'll be 70 in a few days and everything will get confused and start bud swell.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
In all seriousness though....I pray that no one dies in that back up, being stuck away from their medication, or whatever it may be.

Pretty disgusting how people are blaming the governor-elect, who is not in office.
Our society is doomed.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Atlanta has never had 10 snow plows!!

Fwiw, that was a completely different kind of "natural disaster". 22 counties make up metro Atlanta, where all school systems open for business one morning despite a small chance for measurable snow. That small chance of snow is realized by noon... literally 2 inch of snow... and all the school systems decide to release the kids early... and the parents of 1.5 million school kids all get into their cars at the same time- about 1 pm- to drive home and pick the kids up at school, and the epic forever known as "snowmageddon 2014" was born... https://www.11alive.com/article/new...rsary/85-bcf15186-4d02-4a47-8025-5a2cc1f3fdac. My wife was stuck in that mess for 14 hours... 37 mile drive. All I can say is that she grew up in upstate New York and knew how to use low gear. I'll be interested to see what really caused that mess on I-95... I'm betting something similar to what happened in Atlanta in 2014... I know they have plenty of snow plows!
If you're Southern, you know we get as much ice as we get snow. Sometimes a lot of ice. Ice is completely different for driving, clearing etc. from snow No, most southern cities don't have many snow plows. Not a real return on the investment--until some need them once in a decade...You don't/can't plow ice...You can treat road surfaces ahead of storms (and that was done), but it out-snowed the treatment, not melting ice fast enough to compensate for what was falling.

The problems are due to the intensity of the storm that passed over. It was unusual and potent. It dumped a foot or more of snow in less than five hours. We had thunder and lightening with it. It was snowing 1-3 inches per hour with 40 mph wind gusts. The snow was heavy and wet and stuck to everything. That combination of fast falling road temps, covered by wet snow that's pounded into a sheet of ice by traffic, is the culprit. 95 is always a mess because of volume. I've been stuck on that same stretch of road in March and November. One person screws up and it messes up traffic horrendously. Have six tractor trailers jackknife within two hours in a 10-15 miles stretch because of wind and ice? Well, there you go...

FWIW, D.C. area gets snow. Sometimes A LOT of it. We can handle it just as well as Mass. (or about as well as Mass. can handle an ice storm.) We had back to back blizzards in 2010 that dropped FIVE FEET of snow in four days. This doesn't compare to that...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In all seriousness though....I pray that no one dies in that back up, being stuck away from their medication, or whatever it may be.

Pretty disgusting how people are blaming the governor-elect, who is not in office.
Our society is doomed.
oy...vay

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
If you're Southern, you know we get as much ice as we get snow. Sometimes a lot of ice. Ice is completely different for driving, clearing etc. from snow No, most southern cities don't have many snow plows. Not a real return on the investment--until some need them once in a decade...You don't/can't plow ice...You can treat road surfaces ahead of storms (and that was done), but it out-snowed the treatment, not melting ice fast enough to compensate for what was falling.

The problems are due to the intensity of the storm that passed over. It was unusual and potent. It dumped a foot or more of snow in less than five hours. We had thunder and lightening with it. It was snowing 1-3 inches per hour with 40 mph wind gusts. The snow was heavy and wet and stuck to everything. That combination of fast falling road temps, covered by wet snow that's pounded into a sheet of ice by traffic, is the culprit. 95 is always a mess because of volume. I've been stuck on that same stretch of road in March and November. One person screws up and it messes up traffic horrendously. Have six tractor trailers jackknife within two hours in a 10-15 miles stretch because of wind and ice? Well, there you go...

FWIW, D.C. area gets snow. Sometimes A LOT of it. We can handle it just as well as Mass. (or about as well as Mass. can handle an ice storm.) We had back to back blizzards in 2010 that dropped FIVE FEET of snow in four days. This doesn't compare to that...
Funny... I lived in N GA for 12 years and experienced more then a few 3-6 inch snow storms (and one bona fide 12 incher in 2017) but only one true ice storm https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/another-day-off.13998/, and I lived through many more ice storms living in southern New England for 40 years, along with more 2-3 foot snow dumping Nor'easters then I can count. Ultimately, you're right that if the roads aren't treated and it isn't removed from the road surface, it will get packed down, melt a bit then refreeze to ice as cars drive over it. That's pretty much what happened in 2014 Atlanta as crews didn't have time to treat the roads before they were clogged with cars driving on two inches of snow that quickly got packed down and made the roads an ice rink. It sounds like the timing of this brief but powerful storm was perfect to create a mess to rival Atlanta's.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Funny... I lived in N GA for 12 years and experienced more then a few 3-6 inch snow storms (and one bona fide 12 incher in 2017) but only one true ice storm https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/another-day-off.13998/, and I lived through many more ice storms living in southern New England for 40 years, along with more 2-3 foot snow dumping Nor'easters then I can count. Ultimately, you're right that if the roads aren't treated and it isn't removed from the road surface, it will get packed down, melt a bit then refreeze to ice as cars drive over it. That's pretty much what happened in 2014 Atlanta as crews didn't have time to treat the roads before they were clogged with cars driving on two inches of snow that quickly got packed down and made the roads an ice rink. It sounds like the timing of this brief but powerful storm was perfect to create a mess to rival Atlanta's.
Well, there you go, only 12 years.... 😁

Top Bottom