Split Branch Into Multiple Jins

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
This shimpaku has some very thick (7/8" - 1") and straight branches which I'd like to jin.

However, I'd like to avoid having thick ugly straight jins.

Has anyone ever split a branch to make it into two or more jins, in an effort to make the split sections more bendable? Or, seen it done?

As an aside I am slightly familiar with the steam bending technique but thinking these are too thick. Perhaps it could be employed if they are split?

Looking forward to the feedback!

20210430_181057.jpg

20210430_181107.jpg

20210430_181125.jpg

20210430_181057.jpg

20210430_181107.jpg

20210430_181125.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry I don't have an answer for you but I think it is a great juniper. I will be following this.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not sure that splitting one branch into multiple jins can be made to look natural.
I think it will just look weird and contrived
You can however carve down the large branch into a smaller jin rather than a large one and make it look more natural

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
you should be able to do it with branch splitters, heavy knob cutters and a bit of elbow grease. youll need to split the wood and peel back slivers until you get to the size you want. loads on YT

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Not sure that splitting one branch into multiple jins can be made to look natural.
You can however carve down the large branch into a smaller jin rather than a large one and make it look more natural
This is what my mentor suggested, and might be the only option - I suppose I'm just hopeful to get some nice twist action going on to match the trunk but may have to rely on doing so with the smaller live branches. Thanks!

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
you should be able to do it with branch splitters, heavy knob cutters and a bit of elbow grease. youll need to split the wood and peel back slivers until you get to the size you want. loads on YT
Wow OK first of all huge thanks for exposing yet another awesome Bjorn video who just happens to be my favorite artist! Will probably take me 4 weeks to plan out what he does in the first 4 minutes here, but I like it.

You've pretty much just given me the excuse I need to test out my new deadwood tools that arrived today:

20210430_190349.jpg

Now where's my oversize branch splitters at...

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have seen some examples that do exactly this and they were done very well.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thought just occurred to me that it's not uncommon in nature for a branch to break on a tree, but for the falling portion to peal down the length of the branch, leaving essentially two jins from one branch.
Maybe I'll look for a pic of what I'm talking about.
Do it right, and you'll get what you're looking for and still have a natural appearance.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
on very thick branches you can saw into the wood then pull slivers away, Potter has a series on these techniques as does mirai.

that looks decent Hendo, its great fun when you get the hang of it.
burn everything after and scrape with a wire brush.

Top Bottom