Spring 2022

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Shibui how much shade do you provide your JM? I'm building a small area for mine where they will be shaded by the house after 1PM and I am debating whether to add a 30% shade cloth as well for the few hours it will get sun in the morning. Right now they are in my above ground bed underneath a cherry tree and a trident, that provide them dappled light all day and I still get some crispy leaves. Right now I only have a Kotohime and a "pine bark" JM Hubble's Super Cork, but if I can provide them a decent place to grow I may buy a few more or work into propagating a few cuttings from them.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I now have 30% shade over all the maples from some time in late December through to end of summer.
I have experimented with less shade but unless watering is really thorough I also get scorched leaves. No real harm to the trees but it doesn't look too good.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Japanese maples are later than tridents. Most are just opening leaves now, some still with very tiny leaf buds.
CH280094.JPGCH280096.JPGCH280099.JPG

A feral plum collected a couple of years ago.
CH280097.JPG

Trident group planting
CH280098.JPG

Smaller ROR trident
CH280095.JPG

Shohin sized cotoneaster horizontalis
CH280093.JPG

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That small Japanese maple forest is exceptional Shibui! They are all good for sure, but I love that forest.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
That small Japanese maple forest is exceptional Shibui! They are all good for sure, but I love that forest.
I have not posted a Japanese maple forest???
The shohin group in the reddish pot is tridents.

2 years ago I decided to make a shohin forest so dug some seedlings as I usually do to start groups and put those together. Decided it was a good start and would only take 5-10 years for the trees to mature and thicken.
Suddenly realized I have a nursery full of tridents at all stages of development, including plenty that are thicker, older, some have bends and short enough to make a better group NOW.
No real cost as they are just stock so I grabbed some that looked like they would match and put that small group together.

Trunk spacing is just a bit too uniform but it will do for now.

A couple more showing new spring colour.
Shohin azalea starting to flower. I'm hoping the flowers will last another 10 days for Canberra bonsai club show 1st and 2nd Oct
CH280102.JPG

This Seiju elm is a little larger but still only around 30-40cm tall
CH280103.JPG

Another cotoneaster horizontalis. Not really impressive as far as style but a bit bigger and older than the previous cotoneaster.
CH280100.JPG

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have not posted a Japanese maple forest???
The shohin group in the reddish pot is tridents.

2 years ago I decided to make a shohin forest so dug some seedlings as I usually do to start groups and put those together. Decided it was a good start and would only take 5-10 years for the trees to mature and thicken.
Suddenly realized I have a nursery full of tridents at all stages of development, including plenty that are thicker, older, some have bends and short enough to make a better group NOW.
No real cost as they are just stock so I grabbed some that looked like they would match and put that small group together.

Trunk spacing is just a bit too uniform but it will do for now.

A couple more showing new spring colour.
Shohin azalea starting to flower. I'm hoping the flowers will last another 10 days for Canberra bonsai club show 1st and 2nd Oct
View attachment 457509

This Seiju elm is a little larger but still only around 30-40cm tall
View attachment 457511

Another cotoneaster horizontalis. Not really impressive as far as style but a bit bigger and older than the previous cotoneaster.
View attachment 457510
Woops. Well, I think your TRIDENT forest is lovely.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Fantastic trees. Appreciative of the beauty but also that I can see structure for future inspiration of design! Thanks.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Very nice trees.
Question: do you have more (shohin size) junipers and/or pines?
Thanks. And, yes, I do have shohin sized junipers and a couple of pines but they don't put on a great spring display so you'll have to wait to see those.

I'm enjoying this. Should we call in some other southern hemisphere folks to share?
More than happy for others to add to this thread. The more the merrier.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
The Aussie Bonsai Bloke, Sam, speaks of a devils plum. Is that your feral plum? What is a devils plum in AU?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The Aussie Bonsai Bloke, Sam, speaks of a devils plum. Is that your feral plum? What is a devils plum in AU?
Never heard of a tree called devils plum but I just checked the Aussie bonsai bloke video and he called that particular plum devils plum because the dead wood looks like a devils face so not a ref to species, just refers to that particular tree.
His tree also looks like one of the feral plums we get growing along roadsides, in farmland and vacant places down here in the cooler south of Aus.
There are a couple of species that have escaped to become feral weeds here. Most are referred to as Cherry plum because they all seem to have small fruit.
I think mine are probably Prunus cerasifera. We also have Prunus nigra which has red leaves and fruit and in some places Prunus spinosa has naturalized.

Top Bottom