Squirrels targetting ONE of my jades only

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Number 1, chop before the scar. Really nice trunk on that one. Squirrels have been targeting my P. afras all summer.
This is what I thought. I will probably wait until its growing better before doing this 🙂 the copper mesh is working great, and of course my spike traps haha.

I think you might get a sprout where you are wanting if you cut back to 1st branch instead of 1, that's only a little further and you will have the branch to help heal.
This was heavily pruned recently?
Thats a good point. I will have to think about that. And yes and no, it was pruned back hard probably last year in the fall. But I seemed to have neglected it a bit until this spring, it put out some more growth and just did some basic branch selection. My plan is to let it grow for atleast 1 full year and maybe do this big chop next year around this time.

It is slower then a regular P. Afra because its variegated also so we will see how much foliage its got next year 🤷‍♂️

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have a red squirrel eating the leave on my Dawn Redwood... I've moved him into the garage for now but I would like to get him back outside soon. Anyone have success with maybe some hardware cloth around the entire tree as a deterrent? We like the little guys, we have dogs and wolf urine is not an option...😝

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Squirrels, like all other animals, are unpredictable opportunistic feeders. We have 8 acres of oaks and hickory and we feed our birds, so we see dozens of squirrels daily. There are a lot of good ideas here but these things have been discussed repeatedly nearly weekly on this site. There is a ton of info in the archives.
The methods I use are Fox & Coyote Urine granules, peppermint spray, and cayenne pepper flakes.

Bonsai Forest

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I use a small animal trap and peanuts as bait near the problem area. Once trapped relocate the nuisance animal more than 2 miles away and they won’t come back. This little guy is about to get deported. He was pulling up chestnut seedlings and eating the roots. This tactic works like a charm. I’ve deported over 25 squirrels this year alone.View attachment 445110
View attachment 445111
strong work

Blksmth88

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I really like the upper branch on that tree. I think it gives it pretty good shape and movement. Plus it looks like taper wise it's almost blended or about too. For me I'd have a hard time cutting it off. I think it adds more than it hurts. The scars will heal in a while. Nigel Freddy crugers his jades to rough them up.

But as a side note to the squirrel issue. At this point if you have any issues you could always add voltage next lol. Just don't zap him off the balcony

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They got my portulicarias this year too.
It’s my first year trying them. I might have to cage them next year.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I use this in my yard to ward off deer and it works very well. No deer in the yard for 2 years. Also, I have service berry trees and I love the fruit. There is one of these hanging from a service berry in the front yard and none on or near the service berries in the back yard. The birds ate all the berries in the back yard and didn't touch the one in the front yard. Give it a try and see if it works.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I use this in my yard to ward off deer and it works very well. No deer in the yard for 2 years. Also, I have service berry trees and I love the fruit. There is one of these hanging from a service berry in the front yard and none on or near the service berries in the back yard. The birds ate all the berries in the back yard and didn't touch the one in the front yard. Give it a try and see if it works.

does it stink, or just to the critters?

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
hey, @LemonBonsai since this tree popped up again, how's it doing? still have squirrel problems?
Welll although I had faith in the copper mesh and spike traps to protect them from squirrels sufficently, i ended up finding this really good deal on a standing greenhouse, sl I ended up putting all my succulents and my BRT into that for this summer, its ideal because now I dont have to worry about rain making my succulents too wet, and I dont have to worry about any squirrels getting to them.

I only had one squirrel prpblem this year, they took a nibble out of my mango (yes I am trying a mango bonsai no hate pls 🙃) but I guess it tasted horrible because other than some problems a few times this year with digging in some pots, been a pretty good year. Hopefully I can finish it off with no real troubles. 🤞
20230513_130734.jpg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Welll although I had faith in the copper mesh and spike traps to protect them from squirrels sufficently, i ended up finding this really good deal on a standing greenhouse, sl I ended up putting all my succulents and my BRT into that for this summer, its ideal because now I dont have to worry about rain making my succulents too wet, and I dont have to worry about any squirrels getting to them.

I only had one squirrel prpblem this year, they took a nibble out of my mango (yes I am trying a mango bonsai no hate pls 🙃) but I guess it tasted horrible because other than some problems a few times this year with digging in some pots, been a pretty good year. Hopefully I can finish it off with no real troubles. 🤞
View attachment 503897
I want to see a pic of your greenhouse too. 😁
That may be a good option for me.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
BB Gun. I love hunting and shooting and hate rodents that chew on my trees.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Get a dog, most dogs will keep squirrels out of the yard.
I have 2 dogs and the squirrels just sit on a tree limb and laugh at them. If I had more empty land around the house I would get a BB gun and shoot the little buggers but as it is I would probably just break a window now or shoot my eye out.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I want to see a pic of your greenhouse too. 😁
That may be a good option for me.
Here it is! I have a bucket of rocks on the lowest shelf and that works great for keeping it down, we have had some pretty bad storms here too.20230826_114409.jpg
Alsp really great f you have limited space like me on my balcony 😃

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here it is! I have a bucket of rocks on the lowest shelf and that works great for keeping it down, we have had some pretty bad storms here too.View attachment 505211
Alsp really great f you have limited space like me on my balcony 😃
I have one of similar design. I stack bricks and rocks in the bottom shelf for now.
A problem I have had with mine is grasshoppers finding their way in, but not their way out. Last year I lost most of my cuttings in one go when a pair got trapped inside. There's a broken zipper this year, so the bugs find their way in more often, but decide they dislike the heat and then find their way back out before doing too much damage.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have one of similar design. I stack bricks and rocks in the bottom shelf for now.
A problem I have had with mine is grasshoppers finding their way in, but not their way out. Last year I lost most of my cuttings in one go when a pair got trapped inside. There's a broken zipper this year, so the bugs find their way in more often, but decide they dislike the heat and then find their way back out before doing too much damage.
Interesting, i have not had problems with bugs yet. There is a vent flap in the back that I always leave open but I taped a mesh over the hole, I wonder if the size of the mesh is enough for bugs to get in and out 🤔

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Interesting, i have not had problems with bugs yet. There is a vent flap in the back that I always leave open but I taped a mesh over the hole, I wonder if the size of the mesh is enough for bugs to get in and out 🤔
Possibly, but you're also up on a balcony. Mine is down on the ground, right where the bugs are.

Top Bottom