Started Work on Ficus

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I always just defoliate, once I've decided to defoliate. 'Getting the show on the road', as Seth has described it. Healthy Ficus don't need the photosynthesis that the partial leaves provide. What good is it doing? You want that plant to blast out new leaves. Delaying that process while existing, slashed leaves die doesn't seem helpful. If you're worried about your plant dying, then don't defoliate it. Note - I have not done any controlled experiments related to this.

Maybe it's different up North. I have very little knowledge as to what growing Ficus inside requires.

Reaction score
From my experience and not to tread on anyone's toes here is that yes, cutting the leaf off retaining the petiole or stem of the leaf is going to be the fastest way of returning new growth to the tree, seeing you have removed all the leaves, the tree needs to take in sunlight, so it is going to send out new growth in a hurry to replace the old. This process does induce a lot of stress to the the tree, so one needs to understand and evaluate the health of the tree.

Second option, reducing leaf size or cutting leaves. This process is going to be slower to return new growth, seeing that in essence the portion of the leaf that is left, is going to naturally still take in light, yet the tree is going to naturally want to repair the damage and send out other leaves. This process is less severe to the overall health of the tree, yet should not be taken lightly, since repeatedly doing it will quickly weaken the health of the tree as well.

Third process of ripping off leaves, is not really a practice of trying to promote new growth in the area where one is ripping the leaves off, seeing as has been mentioned before by Carp, one is removing further buds from growing in this area. Instead, this is a practice better used when one is not concerned with the area one is ripping from... so, for instance, if one has grown out a branch and one would like to start trying to chase back all new growth towards the base of the branch, so one might want to pull exterior leaves to do this... Having said this I can't really think of a reason why one would want to do this seeing that with most tropicals, one would be better off just cutting the branch back. Seeing that for the most part they will regularly send out new buds if cut hard... b- woods might be the exception, seeing that on old growth, sometimes if one cuts back past the foliage that is already there, one can risk the possible loss of the branch altogether. Usually, this has more to do with the spacing of the nodes, and the fact that the branch grew rather fast and the first nodes are far out. In such a case neither process would really work, the tree is not going to invent a node further back. Other types of tropicals might, not b-woods.

Now if I may offer up a 4th and 5th possibilities that from my own personal experience that I have found more successful at producing ramification than any of these discussed processes, is that one concern oneself with the type of soil and pot one is using, Seeing that a the amount of branching a tree produces is a direct reflection of the amount of fine roots one is able to maintain, a very coarse soil and a shallow pot allow for better air circulation within the soil, allowing for more roots, thus more branching.

The second scenario, being that far to often branches are left to long. And one tries to chase back growth. It is always much easier to grow out then chase back. So, cut the branching shorter, then from there allow a couple of branches to grow, cut them back and allow a couple more to grow, and so on... by the time all these new branches reach the length of where you want them to be you will have 16 branches all with the capability of producing more.

Last edited:

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is great info and exactly as I have heard it from other sources.
Given ideal growing conditions such as Florida ficus can be worked fairly hard. I have learned a lot about taking my time being in the Midwest and an indoor grower. My favorite tree is willow leaf ficus. I really don't think you can beat them for indoor bonsai.
I have zone envy but I think I would have to reduce the amount of trees I have if I were there.
Actually I do cut some leaves all the way leaving only the stem and some I cut in half. I wasn't taught to pull them off so I don't do that.

Last edited:

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Worked on this tree again!

Attachments

• FE5E7843-4E50-4CD6-B2AB-9A47D9DB06F8.jpeg
    FE5E7843-4E50-4CD6-B2AB-9A47D9DB06F8.jpeg
    317.1 KB · Views: 51
  • BF664CA6-67BF-4750-ABC0-1A4FA8B278D1.jpeg
    BF664CA6-67BF-4750-ABC0-1A4FA8B278D1.jpeg
    758.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 6D043710-31DD-46E6-9CCE-3B8BB626F890.jpeg
    6D043710-31DD-46E6-9CCE-3B8BB626F890.jpeg
    402.9 KB · Views: 65
  • EEB1FB26-A071-44A6-B469-E16EDEBFB577.jpeg
    EEB1FB26-A071-44A6-B469-E16EDEBFB577.jpeg
    386.4 KB · Views: 62

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It’s a long shot. But I figured I’d stop by the nut and kindly ask to keep an eye out for this tree. It was stolen out of my private, fenced in backyard a couple days ago. I’m very saddened about this for several reasons. It was still in the same pot, had become a little root bound and I was looking forward to root reduction, wire and partial defoliation very soon. 🙁

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It’s a long shot. But I figured I’d stop by the nut and kindly ask to keep an eye out for this tree. It was stolen out of my private, fenced in backyard a couple days ago. I’m very saddened about this for several reasons. It was still in the same pot, had become a little root bound and I was looking forward to root reduction, wire and partial defoliation very soon. 🙁
That's terrible, so sorry to hear. Hopefully you can get back somehow.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Damn! Just read the entire thread hoping there was a killer updated photo of this tree at the end!
Very sorry to hear that. I would think if it was taken from your backyard that it could still be in the neighborhood somewhere.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm no botanist, but I like to think the tree is allowed to continue some photosynthesis with 25% leaf left. I know the leaf slowly dies off, dropping itself and the petiole, but the transition is more fluid, and you aren't cutting all photosynthesis instantly. By the time the old leaf and petiole is falling off, the new buds have had some time to develop - so photosynthesis is occurring constantly.

It may only be minimally better for the tree's health, but I wouldn't do it differently.
I disagree. The partial leaf thing is not better for the tree then putting it in deep shade. Removing all the leaves by cutting the petiole activates all the resources of the tree to immediately replace the whole canopy. Removing all the primaries at the same time increases the number of tertiary buds activated and results in more, smaller leaves within the same profile. But I guess it depends on what you want.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@evmibo
Sorry for your loss. It is infuriating when thieves take a tree you have invested much time in. That was a damn nice looking ficus. It is disheartening that people can be so petty as to steal a tree.
I hope the tree turns up. I will for one keep an eye on auctions and report your tree if I see it.
I hope it comes back to you.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Sucks man!! Thieves need a "bottle strike"!!
BOTTLE.gif

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This repost was one day from 5 years exactly.

5 bottle strikes.

And waterboard em.

Then feed em to the Gators.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is a good example of exactly why stealing bonsai is a bad idea. This tree and it's two companions are either too easy to to identify as a group and hard to sell, or they have very little value if split-up and offered for sale separately. I've been watching for 15 years for a pot stolen from an auction that was very unusual. It was so identifiable that nobody could use it. Mere possession of it would identify a person as a thief, so it would have to be hidden. And, therefore, useless.

And that was before the internet. Now everybody in the world will be watching for a thief to expose himself...

Top Bottom