Starting Atlas Cedar Development

tinny

Seed
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post on Bonsai Nut! :)

I recently purchased my first green Atlas Cedar, I currently only have experience with junipers and jades for Bonsai. Im hoping to get some feedback on a the plan I have for this tree during my spring (I'm located in the north island of New Zealand).

My goal for this tree is to develop it into a literati style. This spring my intention is to reduce the root volume by about 20-30% and chop the trunk to about half of its current size. Then do some basic work on the initial structure e.g. prune low branches and first wiring.

Then planning to keep the tree well-watered and in a shaded area during summer.

A few questions....

Is this too much work to do on the tree in one go? Too risky?
I know you need to be careful with root pruning Cedar. Im wondering if reducing the foliage (as per my plan) will help (less for the roots system to support) or be detrimental to the root prune?

Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice!

1636226800888.jpg

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
yeah,

I would say that is a bit much to do in one go,

do a repot and remove the small bottom branches then let it grow for a while to get established in the pot before you trunk chop and do any heavy bending on it

best regards
Herman

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

The best natural literate trees tend to be ones like this that grow well their first couple years, then get hit with an avalanche that leaves em mangled and struggling for life.

Be the Avalanche.

I'd twist it down, tying it back to itself with itself, wait till it sorts out what lives and dies, gets healthy, then Repot it, in a couple few years.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
20-30% root reduction is modest for any species.
Halving the trunk by half should be OK too.
I've done similar work on a couple of my C. atalanticas and they survived the process though the first that had a root reduction of more than half and trunk reduction of at least 2/3 in one operation took nearly a year to start growing vigorously again.
It may depend on how healthy the tree is before pruning and repotting. It may depend on location or care afterwards.
I would be happy to make the attempt but here you are the one who needs to decide for this tree.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Supremely uninteresting straight trunk. Suggest trade in for one with moving trunk. Otherwise much major bending much needed;).

tinny

Seed
Reaction score
I've chickened out on the litterati idea and I'm probably going to go formal upright and take advantage of the trunk as is. Might make it more interesting with a Jin apex, will see what happens 🤔

Removed about 50% of root mass today and going to chop half the trunk in the morning 😬 🤞

Pj86

Yamadori
Reaction score
I've chickened out on the litterati idea and I'm probably going to go formal upright and take advantage of the trunk as is. Might make it more interesting with a Jin apex, will see what happens 🤔

Removed about 50% of root mass today and going to chop half the trunk in the morning 😬 🤞
I would suggest leaving as much foliage as possible it will aid in its recovery.

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
now your talking, listen to that tree. See if you can find a sharply upright branch to take over as the lead trunk and eliminate everything else. Leave all young and small branches /buds at the bottom of the trunk. Springtime is best for root pruning and 25-30% is safe. Feed heavily the first year and have it in ground to speed up the growth . By the way-I like doing the top prune first and then root prune afterwards so you dont disturb the freshly planted tree.

Top Bottom