Starting my own Juniper bonsai

taylerhill

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was thinking about starting my own bonsai tree from one of our large juniper trees at our house. I have never done this before, so I will be needing all the advice and help I can get. So far from what I have read, it sounds like I will need to cut a branch from the big tree in the early spring, strip the bark away from cut end, and put a root hormone on it? What size of cutting should I use? Should I cut more than one, just in case I have some that don't make it? What kind of soil and pot should I put them in until the roots have grown?

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
That is a fairly advanced technique. Some junipers are better candidates for bonsai than others. I commend you for trying. Keep in mind you don't want to air layer a 4 foot branch with no growth down low towards the layer. Find an interesting limb, twisted or with movement, that has strong lateral branching off of it, as these will most likely become the new leader, or trunk. Watch this video by Graham Potter.

In fact watch all his videos. He is a master on collecting and styling collected material, and a great orator might I add.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CREGA3jxGJE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6udaoTZp5Q

D

Deleted member 17828

Well hopefully this isn't a case of the blind leading the blind as I am also pretty new, but I like to think to myself that i have some knowledge...

So i gather that you live in Colorado? You probably don't want to attempt to root any cuttings now as it's probably pretty cold there. I don't really have any experience with juniper cuttings but a simple google search should find you all you need. Also, may i suggest air layering as an alternative to stem cuttings as I think it would also work well and you could get a thicker trunk quicker. Here's a helpful video from graham potter on the topic <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CREGA3jxGJE>

Additionally, may I suggest purchasing a nursery stock plant come spring time. You may have more satisfaction with it.

Either way, good luck with your endeavors! I'm sure the community here would be interested to see what you do

D

Deleted member 17828

Haha Drew, you beat me to the punch!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Taking a largish cutting from a yard tree is an unlikely way to start a bonsai. Most J. chinensis cuttings that succeed are the size of a pencil and no larger. You CAN strike a larger branch -- maybe up to an inch -- but it is a very iffy proposal for a neophyte.

As usual with first-time posters, I don't know where you live, but If you do this, do it in early spring. Make certain that you take the cutting with VERY sharp clippers -- NO ragged edges. While the cutting is fresh, dip the cut end in some Rootone, then poke a suitable sized hole in a bed or small pot of coarse damp sand, then press the sand around the cutting firmly. Keep the sand DAMP -- NOT WET. Full sun is preferable and do NOT let it freeze or dry out completely.

DO NOT move, jiggle, tug or otherwise disturb the cutting for at least three months. If you can stand it 4-5 months is better. If it dies it will turn brown in that time, and if you have followed instructions it will live or not; there's nothing you can do to improve the situation.

For your first tree, it is far better and easier to search the local nursery scene and buy a small nursery juniper and start from that.

Last edited:

taylerhill

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well hopefully this isn't a case of the blind leading the blind as I am also pretty new, but I like to think to myself that i have some knowledge...

So i gather that you live in Colorado? You probably don't want to attempt to root any cuttings now as it's probably pretty cold there. I don't really have any experience with juniper cuttings but a simple google search should find you all you need. Also, may i suggest air layering as an alternative to stem cuttings as I think it would also work well and you could get a thicker trunk quicker. Here's a helpful video from graham potter on the topic <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CREGA3jxGJE>

Additionally, may I suggest purchasing a nursery stock plant come spring time. You may have more satisfaction with it.

Either way, good luck with your endeavors! I'm sure the community here would be interested to see what you do

Yes I live in Colorado, so yes it is pretty cold here now. I would wait to cut until maybe March or around then.

Taking a largish cutting from a yard tree is an unlikely way to start a bonsai. Most J. chinensis cuttings that succeed are the size of a pencil and no larger. You CAN strike a larger branch -- maybe up to an inch -- but it is a very iffy proposal for a neophyte.

As usual with first-time posters, I don't know where you live, but If you do this, do it in early spring. Make certain that you take the cutting with VERY sharp clippers -- NO ragged edges. While the cutting is fresh, dip the cut end in some Rootone, then poke a suitable sized hole in a bed or small pot of coarse damp sand, then press the sand around the cutting firmly. Keep the sand DAMP -- NOT WET. Full sun is preferable and do NOT let it freeze or dry out completely.

DO NOT move, jiggle, tug or otherwise disturb the cutting for at least three months. If you can stand it 4-5 months is better. If it dies it will turn brown in that time, and if you have followed instructions it will live or not; there's nothing you can do to improve the situation.

For your first tree, it is far better and easier to search the local nursery scene and buy a small nursery juniper and start from that.

I should have worded my original post better, I meant that I was thinking of using small cuttings, like ones that are just a few inches long. Not large branches.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Coupla comments, I've had better luck with the liquid rather than the dry powder root hormone.
I screen pummice into small sized granuals and slip in 10-20% coconut fibers as medium mix
It's helpfull to have a misting system to keep things moist as the cuttings take and begin to root.

smaller is better when it comes to cuttings being able to root, so as long as your doing it do atleast a dozen.

:)

good luck

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Juniper cuttings can be struck in spring quite easily....and you can start an air layer of a larger branch (several inches in diameter) at the same time. Doing a search here or on google will give you lots to read up on.

Top Bottom