State Forestry Job Opening SW Washington

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sort of. There’s a lot of movement within the organization so things open up frequently. It’s not so much getting the applicants, it’s keeping them!
Even with a 4 day work week and paid commute people drift…
I studied geology and worked as a consultant for a while does that count haha ;)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sort of. There’s a lot of movement within the organization so things open up frequently. It’s not so much getting the applicants, it’s keeping them!
Even with a 4 day work week and paid commute people drift…
Our agency is having a lot of retirements happening lately which has created movement but some of our lower entry positions have been difficult to get fills

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would a biology degree work that had more focus on ecosystems/animals than humans? I’m wanting to get my ba in forestry but need some cash flow to pay for it. VA funds got used up on the aa. Can the 4 10’s be Thursday thru Sunday? Lol

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Would a biology degree work that had more focus on ecosystems/animals than humans? I’m wanting to get my ba in forestry but need some cash flow to pay for it. VA funds got used up on the aa. Can the 4 10’s be Thursday thru Sunday? Lol
4x10s are mon-thur or tue-Friday since that’s when our radio dispatchers work. I think a bio degree would count, especially with some interest and background knowledge in natural resource management.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The position has been posted on the WA DNR website. It got a few upgrades to increase salary potential: some timber sale layout, compliance, and silviculture tasks. It is still primarily focused on cruising.

I encourage everyone interested to apply, even if you feel you don’t have a lot of experience. If you can meet minimum requirements and bring a good attitude then we’ll train you up.

In addition to the cruising job, there’s openings for lots of other natural resource related fields: Wild land fire, forest engineering, biology, greenhouse management, recreation, etc

Don’t be a stranger. I’d be happy to answer questions.

Last edited:

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
If real, there are estimates of at least 2,500 to keep the population alive.
On the Olympic peninsula people accept the fact Bigfoot is real because they or someone they know says they've seen one
Try asking First Nations people who have known all about Sasquatch since long before European settlers arrived!
The Sasquatch are probably trying to protect what is left of the Old Growth Forest from clear-cutting!!!
If you're interested in the topic, Check out Steve Isdahl channel How to Hunt.com ; https://www.youtube.com/c/proguide66/videos

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The application deadline is 11/1.

I should have posted these before… Here’s some pictures to show what the work environment is like…

I assume you've posted this position at forestry schools around the country?

State University of New York Environmental Science and Forestry school (ESF for short) has a forestry major. I would imagine they have graduates that would kill for this job.

I am amazed youre still having trouble getting this filled

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I assume you've posted this position at forestry schools around the country?

State University of New York Environmental Science and Forestry school (ESF for short) has a forestry major. I would imagine they have graduates that would kill for this job.

I am amazed youre still having trouble getting this filled

We’ve posted it mainly to places in Washington and Oregon. Not sure about ESF. It’s a good idea to branch out..
10-11 applicants so far.

It is strange how little awareness there is for the field of forestry. Most colleges are even dropping the major..
The state side of things seems to offer what a lot of people would want in a career: stability, retirement and health benefits, paid commute, fresh air, and plenty of time off.
Weird, especially in todays economy..

Last edited:
Top Bottom