Stateside again

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So now I'm back from my self imposed exile in Costa Rica, after nearly 9 years, and living in North Carolina, 7a. I've never lived so far north. I'd rather be with my son in the tropics, but that's coming.
Anyway, what do Bnuts do around here now? I brought some pots, and had a basic bonsai tool set waiting for me. Strange tools.... But I don't have any trees to torture.
I was looking at a garden center and saw a lot of species, but nothing with a great trunk. But I liked some backwoods, some junipers, and other species that I know people use for bonsai. But is it time to acquire trees? There are a lot I can dig up here in the yard, some with potential. But no free strangler figs by the millions.
So is it time to dig or transplant? Or do anything with little trees? I know the list of potential victims is long here, since -NC is a crossroads for northern and southern species for flora and fauna. Pretty cold for a Floridian fresh up from the tropics, strait to where it snows. But that won't stop me from starting over with bonsai. So, where to start?
Thanks for any help or advice, as always.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome back!!! I guess this time of year I would just be scouting out plants to dig up in the spring. A lot of people are giving the native red maple a shot, I would also look for winged elm, Carolina hornbeam, yaupon Holly if you can find it, even winterberry Holly. Good luck!!!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Why not take advantage of the fall nursery sales, to get hold of some potential victims? They may not be all that right now, but if you're unfamiliar with the species we have here then they'll be good candidates to learn on. Welcome back. :)

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Sorce, maybe my new LG phone will take better pics than the $50 phones from down there.
We'll see today, because there are a bunch of bushes and trees I can have from here, out in the yard.
I was not into bonsai when I went to CR, but I just figured with all the species there, I'd have it easy. But I was at Lowe's the other day here, and I saw way more potential species that could work (not many great examples, but lots of potential species that I know people use for bonsai here).
So advice should be easier up here at least. I'll go take some pics and see if my camera is up to your standards. And lay off the CR coffee, aka rocket fuel.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I think I'll have a much easier time here, with species people know about and because bonsai stuff is close. Oh, and NAPA is a mile or so away. So my soil problems are over..
Thanks again, it's great to be back!

Top Bottom