Stolen shohin tree from 2023 48th Gafuten

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, that's an option. I was going with the non-violent option despite having my car broken into 4 times. I just quit buying after market stereo equipment. I completely understand as I once wanted to have my car nuked from space once the radio power is cut so the thief was dealt with. Now that I'm older I'd be happy with driving past some naked loser, knowing what their crime was. :)
The Romans crucified criminals and left them on display at the roadsides to deter crime.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
We can go back to dark age punishments, but catching the thief is still the trick. I'd rather we move forward into modern technological deterrent that can help get your tree back quickly as well as lead to an arrest...

There are now small tags one can place inside the soil or chips that can be implanted into a tree that will allow GPS tracking. I would encourage anyone who has expensive trees (or anything you want to keep) to look into these technologies.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Honestly, our toddler would love it. We taught her that cactus and similar pricklies are prickly but she just loves to say ‘tzak tzak! (Prickly in taiwanese) and give it a gentle enough touch that she doesnt get stabbed.
me too, man, me too. it's the thrill of the pick that keeps me coming back to cacti

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
From the All Japan shohin Bonsai Associatio’s fb page. A black pine was stolen on sunday 1/8 during the breakdown of the show in Kyoto. :(

If you have any info, please contact the administrative office in Kyoto (075-682-1230).
How are there no security cameras catching crimes
We can go back to dark age punishments, but catching the thief is still the trick. I'd rather we move forward into modern technological deterrent that can help get your tree back quickly as well as lead to an arrest...

There are now small tags one can place inside the soil or chips that can be implanted into a tree that will allow GPS tracking. I would encourage anyone who has expensive trees (or anything you want to keep) to look into these technologies.
This is a very good idea. FOIA requests on their emails and personal messaging to identify the people these thieves answer to, if any. Hard time in harsh prisons for all of them.

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Most thieves are idiots . They just don’t care about anyone or anything . But them selves . They will do thousands of dollars worth of damage to . Your home and property . Steal your prize tree . Rip it out of the pot and throw it away . Because there to misinformed what it is or worth . Then sell the pot because it looks kind of cool . For a bit of drugs . Next level up will know the tree is valuable but will kill it from lack of knowledge of care before finding a buyer . I have a lot of trouble 👿. Believing a bonsai person would steal someone else’s tree . I can truly say bonsai people are sone of the best I have ever had the pleasure of being associated with . Can’t fathom the idea . What are you going to do with the tree . Be reminded your scum ever time you water . Restyle it and sell it . 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Only scum would attempt to steal someone’s passion . If your tree is stolen find the nearest drug dealer and offer cash no questions asked for its return . Probable your best shot at its return
When I first got serious about bonsai Keith Scott of Chagrin Falls, OH was alive and well. My son was in diapers and Linda and took a road trip. So after a while I inquiredif I could purchase a tree. In asking if I could write him a check (which I did) I asked if he needed ID. Keith said; "No, all bonsai people are honest."

I have found the same.

I've only been stung once: I was asked to sharpen a set of tools for a long time member (Sally Huruska, husband a prominent MD in the area) of the FSBC in MI as the she moved to FL. I contacted her and shipped them with a note: Just send a check to cover the postage.
No check was ever received. I think some people feel they're owed something....hah!

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I first got serious about bonsai Keith Scott of Chagrin Falls, OH was alive and well. My son was in diapers and Linda and took a road trip. So after a while I inquiredif I could purchase a tree. In asking if I could write him a check (which I did) I asked if he needed ID. Keith said; "No, all bonsai people are honest."

I have found the same.

I've only been stung once: I was asked to sharpen a set of tools for a long time member (Sally Huruska, husband a prominent MD in the area) of the FSBC in MI as the she moved to FL. I contacted her and shipped them with a note: Just send a check to cover the postage.
No check was ever received. I think some people feel they're owed something....hah!
I also have been stung . Unfortunately it was not the cost . But availability . My Bonsai from the wild . Nick Lenz book was stolen . From a club event . Unfortunately it’s out of print . I Doubt it was a club member . The event was a showcase of what the club is all about . Open to the public . At end of event it was just not there 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️. Being from the north east and interested . In native wild trees . And on top of that . It was a gift from a mentor

Top Bottom