Storing JBP seeds in 32 F?

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hey I ordered JBP seeds and wanted to store them till Spring. Is it okay to keep them at 32 degrees F in my fridge? Thanks!

Attachments

• EE506BE9-8904-429A-A03E-327DA9ED7E7E.jpeg
    EE506BE9-8904-429A-A03E-327DA9ED7E7E.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 3

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
No problem storing seed in the fridge. Lower temps usually mean extended life. I keep a lot of seed frozen. Not only destroys pests but also extends viability.
Freezing does not appear to harm most seeds hence the numerous cryogenic seed repositories (doomsday vaults) around the world.

JBP seed is viable for at least 7 years in my experience but you never know how old bought seed already is so cool temp storage is a good idea.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes seed can be frozen for storage. There is no set limit that pertains to all or even most seeds. Some seeds should not be frozen at all. Some can be frozen for a year or two and others for many years.
This is not the same as stratifying seeds which I believe is the intent here. Seeds that are frozen are inert. They are not bio active like seeds being stratified for spring sowing. Stratifying seeds should be cold above freezing. This enables the seed to break its dormancy. Seeds vary in their needs of cold stratification and many also require warm stratification first, and some none at all.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
JBP seeds no problem to store in fridge or in freezer - as long as you keep them bone dry. If they get wet they may germinate on you, or get mold/fungus.

One exception to the "store seeds" rule is citrus. A dry citrus seed is a dead citrus seed. So there are exceptions to the rule. You don't see many citrus in bonsai, but there are a few.

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Gotcha, thanks everybody. I just need to store the seeds till around spring when I’ll start the stratification process. The seeds are in zip lock bags with no air in them, so hopefully no risk of moisture.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gotcha, thanks everybody. I just need to store the seeds till around spring when I’ll start the stratification process. The seeds are in zip lock bags with no air in them, so hopefully no risk of moisture.
This being the case there is no reason to freeze them. And if what has been stated here is accurate, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, there is no need to stratify them. I have not germinated JBP but with most seeds a stratification gives higher percentages of germination. Personally, I would cold stratify for 60 to 90 days and then plant.

Why don't you try a couple methods and let us know what works best for you.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea they are fine.
Siberian Elm seeds can be stored for 15 years…..frozen🤔
Then they sprout with just a drop of water…..in like a day or two!

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sounds good guys! I have a bunch of seeds sitting in the fridge so I’ll make two batches: one with stratification and one without. I’ll see if there’s a difference in germination rate and let you guys know. Thanks!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have grown a lot of JBP from seed and I also get similar germination rates with unstratified JBP seed so I see no point in stratifying.

Sealed seed packets should store just fine at room temp but the fridge storage will not hurt.

One exception to the "store seeds" rule is citrus. A dry citrus seed is a dead citrus seed. So there are exceptions to the rule. You don't see many citrus in bonsai, but there are a few.
I believe oaks are another of these exceptions. Oak seed should be collected and sown before it dries out too much.
I was told this also applies to ficus seed but have not tested those.

Top Bottom