Strange maple growth

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
A bit of history about this tree. Around 2000 there was a company called mountain maples (it no longer exists,) they sold rare japanese maple cultivators which were rooted from cuttings rather then on grafts. They also sold grafts but I didn't buy any. I bought about 25 1-3 year trees of different cultivators and planted them in bonsai soil to grow. At that time I lived in NYC, I decided to move to LA after the world trade cebter happened and didn't want to risk the trip with them. I brought them to my fathers in Virginia Beach they grew in pots between then and 2011 when I moved back to the east coast. I repotted them once in all those years in 2005 when I went home to visit. Each time I'd go home more would be dead because my father is not good with watering potted plants. Over the years almost all of them were killed a genuine maple massacre I should have brought them with me. Fortunately he did love the little guys and planted a few of his favorites into his yard without telling me. One of them was this one which I believe is an arakawa. This past year I went home again to visit and he told me he'd planted it out and it was real sick with branches dying, I think my mom drive over it with her car.... I cut it way back last fall, dug it up and repotted it into a proper mix. It responded this spring by throwing out new shoots all over. Strangely one branch has an odd pattern pic attached. Is this a fungal growth in the trunk and if so should I lop off this trunk? Or do you think it's produced a new cultivator?

The tree looks healthy otherwise despite some mild sunburn. Even the odd colored leaf looks happy, its been this way since the leaves came out a month or so ago.

Sorry for the 3 pics it took 3 tries to get it to upload right. And I can't seem to delete the upside down ones.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I remember Mountain Maples, I have a couple of their trees. Sounds like a maple bloodbath, maybe this one is going rouge in retaliation!;)
I've never seen this leaf pattern, but I have had things revert branches back to a different variety before. Very interesting.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ya almost like chlorisis on an azalea. Initially I treated it with phyton 27 thinking it was fungal but I don't really think it is anymore as the leafs not declining. Maybe ill air layer that branch off.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
That kind of leaf coloration is chlorosis. The fact that it seems to be only on one branch might indicate the chlorosis was brought on by the damage to the plant when the car went over it. Maybe nutrients are having a hard time reaching that branch because of tissue damage.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It's planted in 2 parts akadama, 1 part pumice, one part lava. Should I try to adjust soil PH zen or just leave it be. Magnesium application?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The chlorotic looking leaves may be the true foliage for the cultivar.

It is common for 'exotic' JM cultivars to sometimes put out ordinary solid green palmatum leaves. Frequently it just happens, but traumatic events such as wind burn that defoliates a branch will do it too. Often, you can just remove the ordinary green palmatum leaves and they will be replaced by the true foliage.

Top Bottom