Suckering root sprouts on cedar elm

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
I didn't know this species did this. This tree dug this summer is doing really well. I even noticed a suckering root sprout. I guess I'll have to remove it when i repot it and start a new tiny tree. I don't think it would ever be in scale with it's big brother. But it is interesting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 66

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! It lived for sure huh?

I always see elm roots erosion exposed and they almost always have shoots.
Been looking for raftable ones. But usually one spot sprouts mad shoots.

Dr. Suess?

Sorce

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could be seeds that were stuck In the soil. I bought a very old juniper a couple of years. I had cedar elm coming up even after a repot. It was not bare rooted though. I would be very interested at your next repot if this is just that. My cedar elm does not do this. Only my old juni. :p

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't know about cedar elm, but I dealt with a little Chinese elm of mine that had a sprout off a root. In the middle of summer I pulled and cut it out without disturbing the rest of the plant, then potted it into a little 4 inch pot. It's put out between 6-8 inches of growth on a couple extensions. It was hard for me to believe. Might be something cool down the road if I stick it in the ground.

dpowell

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I planted a cedar elm in the ground for a couple years to thicken the trunk, went from 1.5" to over 5" in those two years. I dug it up this past January and chopped the nebari around it in a circle leaving some bigger roots left in the ground (See pics for the tree after it was dug up.

Suckers grew from the roots that were left in the ground and I now have a half a dozen shoots that are about 12 feet tall now. Not sure if anyone of them will be good because my field growing area is so overgrown I can't get in there to look, but it sure show's how hardy these elms are.

Attachments

• IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0577.jpg
    IMG_0577.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 24

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
bare rooted

it was bare rooted so unlikely to be a seedling. also, I am thinking that if I go back to where it was dug there may be more little suckers....

Top Bottom