Suggestions Pumice and Lava Rock?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions on where to find pumice and lava rock. I do remember hearing something about feed stores carrying pumice and was wondering if anyone knew the name of the product.

Thank you,

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
"Black Gold" is a large line of garden soil mixes. Any garden supply should be able to order it.
It's called "pumice." :)
Looks terrible with cinder (lava) unless you like black and white.

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am looking for suggestions on where to find pumice and lava rock. I do remember hearing something about feed stores carrying pumice and was wondering if anyone knew the name of the product.

Thank you,

It's called "Dry Stall" and costs about $18 for a VERY large bag. Will last a LONG time...

Daniel

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
"Black Gold" is a large line of garden soil mixes. Any garden supply should be able to order it.
It's called "pumice." :)
Looks terrible with cinder (lava) unless you like black and white.

All the lava rock I've bought and ordered has been red...strange.

Daniel

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
It's called "Dry Stall" and costs about $18 for a VERY large bag. Will last a LONG time...

Daniel

I used to use this but got tired of sifting out all the fines and larger pieces.
Black gold is clean and uniform.
Red is softer than black but should be ok if you like red and white.:cool:

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Awesome I found the black gold at a local nursery-which is pumice. Thanks. Okay, now what about a good source for Lava rock?

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Awesome I found the black gold at a local nursery-which is pumice. Thanks. Okay, now what about a good source for Lava rock?
Could I ask why you think it's necessary?

Last edited:

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I used to use this but got tired of sifting out all the fines and larger pieces.
Black gold is clean and uniform.

No offense, but are you seriously this concerned about uniformity and sifting? The stuff I bought wasn't bad at all. You will have to sift the bg for dust and fines as well. I just bought some lava rock from bonsaimonk and it had a ton of fines in it...

Last edited:

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I still have not found any products that are made of pure lava in the correct size. If anyone know's of anything I would love to find out. I guess I will continue searching the local landscaping places.

Reaction score
lava rock

Yenling
I highly recommend weetree.com as a source for your lava rock.
a large size bag runs about $8.00 and they do ship and i allways get mine from there.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Google Colorado Lava, you will find thier site and you can check for distributors. One chain is a sister store to Agway. It's the red lava.

This mix will be weight wise lighter than most.

Top Bottom