'Summer Red' Red Maple

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thank you all. I agree that another chop would severely weaken the tree. I will fill in around the rootball with Oil-Dri and keep it mulched in the greenhouse over the winter. Thanks everyone.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I just filled the soil in:
002-100.jpg

And took a picture of a new leaf coming out:
003-93.jpg

And took a picture of the fertilizer I use:
001-97.jpg

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't see the picture you posted of the fertilizer you plan to use, but it sounds like from your similar thread on IBC that you are using Bio Gold?? Unless you're very wealthy, not sure I'd be using premium fertilizers on something like this.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good point. In addition to being expensive and in short supply Bio-Gold isn't going to really give this plant the "oomph" it needs. I'd switch to straight, full strength Miracle-Gro. You'll get stronger results. Bio-Gold is great--for bonsai, not so much for trees in development...

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I can't see the picture you posted of the fertilizer you plan to use, but it sounds like from your similar thread on IBC that you are using Bio Gold?? Unless you're very wealthy, not sure I'd be using premium fertilizers on something like this.

This is true. Being fresh out of high school though, all I have to spend my money on is bonsai and girls :D

Good point. In addition to being expensive and in short supply Bio-Gold isn't going to really give this plant the "oomph" it needs. I'd switch to straight, full strength Miracle-Gro. You'll get stronger results. Bio-Gold is great--for bonsai, not so much for trees in development...

I'll go fetch the Miracle Gro and dilute it with the gallon of water. I didn't know that Bio-Gold is more used for finished trees. That's interesting though.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think thats Bio gold. I used bio gold for years and it always came in foil bags. The bag was always labled for US distribution and was always printed in English. I don't see it imported any longer so I can't get it out here.

The stuff in the cello bag from Japan is OK being not much better than koi food, which incidently make a fairly good fertilizer, and is cheap in bulk.

Economically stay away from Japanese fertilizer it is just too expensive for what you get. Use this stuff in the plastic jug and you will see results in 30 days and never look back. I buy it at Sams Club and it is pretty inexpensive that way. Staggering results!

Attachments

• DSC_000100015.JPG
    DSC_000100015.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_000200013.JPG
    DSC_000200013.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 45

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I don't think thats Bio gold. I used bio gold for years and it always came in foil bags. The bag was always labled for US distribution and was always printed in English. I don't see it imported any longer so I can't get it out here.

The stuff in the cello bag from Japan is OK being not much better than koi food, which incidently make a fairly good fertilizer, and is cheap in bulk.

Economically stay away from Japanese fertilizer it is just too expensive for what you get. Use this stuff in the plastic jug and you will see results in 30 days and never look back. I buy it at Sams Club and it is pretty inexpensive that way. Staggering results!

Thanks Al, I'll give that stuff a shot!

As for this being Bio-Gold, I'm 100% sure it is. In the upper right hand corner it even says Bio-Gold :D
This was actually bought from Dallas Bonsai, just scroll down a bit, it's there:
http://www.dallasbonsai.com/store/fertilizers.html

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That Bio-Gold is very good, but it's crazy expensive; $1.00/oz. You can make cakes from PlantTone for < $1.00/pound, and it only takes about 30 minutes. BTW, your priories are backwards for a recent grad...girls first and it won't happen when you're making fertilizer cakes. :D

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Use this stuff in the plastic jug and you will see results in 30 days and never look back. I buy it at Sams Club and it is pretty inexpensive that way. Staggering results!

Hi Al,

I've been using that stuff as well and it seems to do a great job. Just out of curiosity, how much are you using? Recommended amount? More?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I don't think thats Bio gold. I used bio gold for years and it always came in foil bags. The bag was always labled for US distribution and was always printed in English. I don't see it imported any longer so I can't get it out here.

The Bio-Gold you're used to buying in the gold foil bags is no longer available, or available in very limited amounts. Apparently, from what I've heard, the original manufacturer stopped making it. The newer stuff comes in different packaging.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Economically stay away from Japanese fertilizer it is just too expensive for what you get. Use this stuff in the plastic jug and you will see results in 30 days and never look back. I buy it at Sams Club and it is pretty inexpensive that way.

Excellent advice. Buying NPK and dirt from Japan is -- simply put -- silly. We have lots of scientifically formulated fertilizers over here -- "organic" and not -- that are as good as anything with Kanji on the box, and heaven knows we have all kinds of dirt that bonsai will grow in just fine.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks again for the replies everyone.

Al, I also bought that 'Shake-N-Feed' today and was wondering how much I can use on my trees. Is it possible to over-fertilize with it? Do you completely cover the surface of the soil? I'm a tad bit confused. Thanks!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

And how the chipmunks and squirrels love to dig out the food supply in the pots. I can't even use traditional cake type fertilizer around my place cause of them little buggers. I bet I have sent 15 squirrels on to a better life this summer and the dogs have gotten a half dozen chipmunks. There are plenty left around here to insure the continuation of the species.

Last edited:

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan:
Really bad timing for doing such a major chop, but hopefully it will pull through. I'd leave it alone for now, as anything else may do it in. Wondering why you have it in a greenhouse this time of year though? Is the temp in there staying low enough and do you get good air circulation?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ryan:
Really bad timing for doing such a major chop, but hopefully it will pull through. I'd leave it alone for now, as anything else may do it in. Wondering why you have it in a greenhouse this time of year though? Is the temp in there staying low enough and do you get good air circulation?

I just figured "why not?" It seems to be healing well though, so if it's not broke, don't fix it :D

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually you won't know if it's not "broke" until next spring. All those new shoots don't have much time to mature before the first frost. They are at least four months behind. You stand to lose some to winter freezes and wind....

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just figured "why not?" It seems to be healing well though, so if it's not broke, don't fix it :D

Well you have to be careful in a small enclosed environment. If your greenhouse is well ventilated you may be ok, but if not you could have too much heat buildup (the greenhouse effect) and possibly mold/fungus problems. Generally greenhouses are used during the cold times of the year and opened up for free air flow during the summer.

Top Bottom