Takin' a trip to Baltimore, MD...

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nothing I really want to do, but medically necessary. However, I'm driving from Louisville, KY and was curious to see if there were any "must see" bonsai nurseries along the route (I-64, 68, 70, and probably a few others). I may make a small side trip to Julian Adams' nursery in Lynchburg, VA. Looks interesting. I would appreciate any input you guys could give. Thanks!

Daniel

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're in B'more..

You're 45 minutes from the best collection of bonsai in the Western Hemisphere at the National Arboretum in Washington. The collection is on the B'more side of D.C. and there's easy access from 95 or The Baltimore Washington Parkway.

The National Bonsai Foundation is the manager of the National Bonsai and Penjing museum at the Arb. The original collection of 100 trees or so were gifts to the US from Japan in 1976. There are some spectacular examples of bonsai, including one that survived the atomic blast at Hiroshima. The collection has grown substantially since then, with exhibits from Norht American artists and Penjing from China. This is a DON'T MISS exhibit.

National Bonsai Foundation:
http://www.bonsai-nbf.org

Here are the directions from Maryland:

http://www.usna.usda.gov

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You're 45 minutes from the best collection of bonsai in the Western Hemisphere at the National Arboretum in Washington. The collection is on the B'more side of D.C. and there's easy access from 95 or The Baltimore Washington Parkway.

The National Bonsai Foundation is the manager of the National Bonsai and Penjing museum at the Arb. The original collection of 100 trees or so were gifts to the US from Japan in 1976. There are some spectacular examples of bonsai, including one that survived the atomic blast at Hiroshima. The collection has grown substantially since then, with exhibits from Norht American artists and Penjing from China. This is a DON'T MISS exhibit.

National Bonsai Foundation:
http://www.bonsai-nbf.org

Here are the directions from Maryland:

http://www.usna.usda.gov

Thanks for the tip. I had thought about this, as one of my wife's friends that we'll probably end up staying with lives just outside of DC (I think in Olney, MD?). I didn't get to see it the last time we were there (4/08), so I hope we can this time.

I was hoping to encounter a nursery that sells some good stock at decent prices, as I've heard that in-person prices are much better than the online prices. Anyone have a must-go-to nursery in that area?

I checked out the Patomac Bonsai Assn (I can't remember the exact name, sorry) for area nurseries, but didn't come up with much, outside of Julian Adams' place...

Thanks!

Daniel

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unfortunately, there aren't too many nurseries within the DC area. If you're going to Lynchburg, maybe you can make a trip to Gardens Unlimited in Ladysmith, VA (it's between Richmond and Fredericksburg). The owners, Bob and Todd, are really nice and they have great stock for sale (along with a great personal collection you can view).

North of Baltimore you have a few options. There's Meehan's in Rohersville (sp?), MD (about 30 min from Baltimore I think), and a few north of Baltimore in PA (Nature's Way and another one I can't seem to recall the name of).

Enjoy your trip!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
skip the nurseries

go to the arb and the bonsai collection. You're alot closer to it than any bonsai retailer in the area.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I agree that you've got to see the National Arboretum. I went a few years ago when I visited my brother in Baltimore while he was interning a Johns Hopkins. If it wasn't on the wrong side of the country I'd go regularly for inspiration.
Paul

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For what it's worth

Lynchburg, Va. (Where Julian's nursery is located) is 157 miles from Washington--about four hours (probably more given the horrendous traffic in DC/No. Va. you will have to navigate before you hit open road). You will also have to pass the Arboretum to get there...

Nature's Way is close to Harrisburg, Pa., which is about three hours out. Chase Rosade's nursery in New Hope is just North of Philly, about 3 1/2 hours by car up 95 towards New Jersey (God Help you if there's road work on any of the interstates or turnpikes...)

Last edited:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nature's Way is close to Harrisburg, Pa., which is about three hours out.

I might have a bit of a lead foot - I think I made it back from Nature's Way to DC in less than 2 hours :D

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Lynchburg, Va. (Where Julian's nursery is located) is 157 miles from Washington--about four hours (probably more given the horrendous traffic in DC/No. Va. you will have to navigate before you hit open road). You will also have to pass the Arboretum to get there...

Nature's Way is close to Harrisburg, Pa., which is about three hours out. Chase Rosade's nursery in New Hope is just North of Philly, about 3 1/2 hours by car up 95 towards New Jersey (God Help you if there's road work on any of the interstates or turnpikes...)

Remember, I'm coming from Louisville, KY. From the map I saw, Lynchburg is only about 20 miles off the interstate we have to take to get to Baltimore, anyway. That's why I said Julian's place to begin with.

Harrisburg is waaay too far north for us on this trip. I can't stand long car rides and neither can my 9 month old. We're about even in that department. :D

Is there a road or interstate in NJ that doesn't have construction on it currently? :D

Daniel

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Lynchburg is only about 20 miles off the interstate"

Good enough then. You'll still pass the Arb on the way to Olney...:):)

Top Bottom