Tamarind tree leaves browning

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have a Tamarind bonsai which the leaves have started browning ( only specify leaves on the branch ) I cut most of the brown ones off , just wandering why this is happening ?
The Tamarind just been transferred to a new pot and we just coming into spring here .Thought I may have over watered the bonsai ( stopped at this stage to see what happens )

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Leaves are not forever. The older, inner, less efficient leaves are the first to go in the spring when a new batch is about to grow from the outside tips, for most species. Does this describe yours?

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yes that is correct , thought I may have over- water . Seems to be OK
Mine you the temperature only about 15 degrees today ( been like that for the last week )

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You should be able to see buds all over getting fatter and ready to explode into growth.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Not quite , I was early doing the transplant ( New Zealand is in Lock down ) expecting thing to happen soon

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
When's the right time to be fertilising , I've add a small amount when I change the pot ( not sure if it to early )

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like to limit ferts until the plant is actively growing, which is weather-related and climate-related. Forgive me, but Auckland doesn't doesn't really have much of a weather change winter to summer as compared to the rest of the world. We can have a 39° swing on a bad day, but that's your whole year! So, your houseplants are more affected by the sun/cloudiness more than temps and you should fert a little in anticipation of more sun, whenever that is, and continue until plants begin to shut down for winter. You can't fool plants into thinking it's summer with ferts, but you will get leggier growth when a plant is trying to grow in less than adequate light, so I prefer to have a plant starved a little when growing conditions, meaning heat and/or light, are less than optional. Others may disagree.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Glad you told me , your right about the climate it's very hard to grow a tropical bonsai here ( without lights ) . I've managed to grow a tamarind bonsai after many tries and been succesfull
,been tree years now but it is very slow growing .I don't think many people grow tamarind tree's here

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You should acquaint yourself with the local weeds that you can collect. Everything that's common in the landscape is acclimated to your local conditions and probably would adapt to houseplant, even if it didn't look as perfect as a houseplant over your winter. They have babies that are near them. Seek and ye will find! Some will do better at that than others and your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to discover which are which. Nothing is cheaper than collecting locally, and you even have a choice of size. I recommend that you collect little ones, like saplings, which will show you how they winter over, in scale. If you find one or a couple that excel as houseplants, then you can scout with size and age in mind and probably come up with some killers. Many times plants that are good bonsai prospects because they are ~beat-up~ exist in the landscape of homes and businesses only because people are too lazy to excise them. Look for plants of the species you want that look like they don't belong where they are: too close to a driveway; out of character with the rest of a landscape; in a sidewalk or parking lot bunker that don't look as "nice" as they business they belong to, etc., etc. Ask the owners if they would like you to remove the shrub and make the site acceptable to them. That could include filling in the hole and sodding/seeding in grass, or just ready for them to plant something they like, or as a last resort offer to trade for something that looks nicer that you would buy and plant. All of these options based upon how much you want the plant that's there. Some are not worth much, and some are to die for. Use your imagination and a little guile!

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'd rather go for tropical types ( I have grown a number of different species ) just show you the climate is really changing here ,so I'm just getting ready for it ( global warming )
It alway good to find another species of tropical type that will grow here .

Top Bottom