Taxus baccata (English Yew) (2018-...)

Reaction score
8 years ago (approximately) i planted a hedgerow of taxus. I pre-selected some and put them aside in the ground for 6 years. I had to cut them back hard and potted them up a few years ago. Part of them died. This is one of the survivors. Last few years my yews don't grow that well. I guess it's because i mainly used tapwater. A problem that will be fixed next year.
IMG_20181012_114758.jpg
IMG_20181012_122928.jpgIMG_20181012_141222.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i see an option for a shorter tree with great taper. or a design where all the branches come from one side, with extensive deadwood on one side. i think either would be a little more interesting than the option of formal upright. the area where the two bar branches meet, is already beginning to thicken. i guess being a yew, eventually you'll be able to obscure problem areas with dense foliage. the basic structure seems to be more spruce like than yew like, i see a lot of folks styling yew this way though. just my 2 cents, dont mean to sound like an ass. i just think it could be better

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I agree with Bobby.
I too have considered that type of styling for one of mine....

The semi eye poker branch is somewhat bothersome to me.

Good tree over all though, I wish I had a trunk like that.
You could probably start from scratch if it starts back budding on the trunk...

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions, that's why i'm here. The one-sided tree popped in my mind too, but it is too early and the tree is too weak to go that way in my opinion. What do you mean with a "spruce- like styling". Do i need to get the branches more upright? Might be good since the trunk is rather young.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
hi mate, by 'spruce like' i meant the straight, downward habit that they grow in
Picea glauca by myrique baumier, on Flickr

many Yew have primary branches that rise up and dip towards the end, or up n out sub trunks with the secondary branches doing an arc towards the ends, i see it on all yews. up n down
Ormiston Yew Tree by Raycce, on Flickr
Taxus baccata - Yew tree in Pyrford Churchyard by Ashley Wood, on Flickr
Ancient Yew Tree by Alistair, on Flickr
ancient yew Taxus baccata by Eloy Revilla, on Flickr

so yeh, trying to mimic the trees natural habit will be better for development

Last edited:
Reaction score
Got the picture. Hard to make bonsai-pads... must try. Thanks. Don't know when i'll make the adjustments health-wise. Got a few with pads, so this one can be different if she wants.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Got the picture. Hard to make bonsai-pads... must try. Thanks. Don't know when i'll make the adjustments health-wise. Got a few with pads, so this one can be different if she wants.

Health comes first. You’ve got years in this tree, 1 more to regain health and vigor is nothing.
Let it get healthy, don’t be impatient :).

hi mate, by 'spruce like' i meant the straight, downward habit that they grow in
Picea glauca by myrique baumier, on Flickr

many Yew have primary branches that rise up and dip towards the end, or up n out sub trunks with the secondary branches doing an arc towards the ends, i see it on all yews. up n down
Ormiston Yew Tree by Raycce, on Flickr
Taxus baccata - Yew tree in Pyrford Churchyard by Ashley Wood, on Flickr
Ancient Yew Tree by Alistair, on Flickr
ancient yew Taxus baccata by Eloy Revilla, on Flickr

so yeh, trying to mimic the trees natural habit will be better for development

Them pictures though! Awesome.

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@BobbyLane ,
great pictures, and sadly where I am, New England, USA, we don't see Yews in ther natural form. Really only see as hedges or bushes in yards.
I always go to pictues of europes Yew trees for reference.
Yews have become one of my favorites.
thanks again.

Top Bottom