Thank you very much...

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thank you very much Maurane.

She was only 57 when she died yesterday.

How can such a powerful, sensual, sensitive voice be lost in the echo of this world?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
You probably don't know what a duduk is, do you? :D

It's an Armenian flute in a low tone. There are many people of Armenian descent here in France (about 600,000). It's a community that has roots back to the 15th century in the mediterranean cities, but most of them fled Turkey in 1915 because they were, er... not really welcome any longer after centuries of living there.

I think that some Americans from the older generation know for instance Charles Aznavour (Aznavourdjian):

But let's get back to the duduk. Here's a piece by Levon Minassian, a duduk virtuoso:

Others weren't so lucky, they were not deported, they fought nazism and died because of that, at a time when some French people were the accomplices and supported a xenophobic government, notably the MOI (main-d'oeuvre immigrée, immigrant workforce) a resistance group led by Missak Manouchian.

We mustn't forget what these people did, they gave their lives for our same values, and their sons and daughters who survived enriched our society.

Affiche_rouge.jpg

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You probably don't know what a duduk is, do you? :D

... ...but most of them fled Turkey in 1915 because they were, er... not really welcome any longer after centuries of living there.
Alain, you are surprising me!
Why is it that you do not use the true -> correct expression : expelled because Turkey committed a genocide of them?

And yes I know duduk.
We also use this word in Greek, we say : Ντουντούκα (duduka)

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Douce France (Sweet France), a 1940s hit that was revived by much younger friends, the kind of them I was at school with :)

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Alain, you are surprising me!
Why is it that you do not use the true -> correct expression : expelled because Turkey committed a genocide of them?

And yes I know duduk.
We also use this word in Greek, we say : Ντουντούκα (duduka)

You know, I know.

Hard to tell people about a genocide. Especially when you're posting on a US forum.

How can they understand this ideal?

Top Bottom