The Car Thread

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't owned a car since right after I flipped a Bronco II in about 1998. Back when dial up reigned. It was a little gold $500 Buick with a thousand dollar stereo!

20 some years later I realized I'll never own a car again!

20200916_123405.jpg

I do have to replace the Oil Pan Gasket on a 2wD 04 6cyl Jeep Liberty. YouTube'd something about removing part of the transmission to get at it, then the dude at Orielly's told me about needing to hold the engine up....

I can't open it up without knowing it can get done, so any knowledge would be helpful!

Nice frigging work!

Sorce

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Never done one on a Liberty but doing some research it looks like the oil pickup tube gets in the way to remove the pan which is why they say to lift the engine. But you can disconnect the pickup tube after the pan drop and the pan will come out without needing to lift the motor.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Never done one on a Liberty but doing some research it looks like the oil pickup tube gets in the way to remove the pan which is why they say to lift the engine. But you can disconnect the pickup tube after the pan drop and the pan will come out without needing to lift the motor.

I'll be owing you one!

Thanks!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got on this today.

Big thanks Again!

Scraping the goddam old gasket off the pan was the only pain! Got her cleaned and painted purple like the last shit, ready to put everything back in the AM!

Sorce

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Got on this today.

Big thanks Again!

Scraping the goddam old gasket off the pan was the only pain! Got her cleaned and painted purple like the last shit, ready to put everything back in the AM!

Sorce
Glad it worked buddy 🙂

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
Hey neighbor, I’m in Sacramento too!
I have my Grandpas 1988 Cadillac Brougham d’elegance. 66k miles on it0165772D-9529-4F97-90EF-7DEBBEBF1A21.png2B414EFB-0C12-4BA3-8D7A-F3851A28C0FD.jpeg
He finally gave it to me after haggling since I was 10 (and it was 11) years old. Still in great condition, he was always been on top of maintenance and only drive it to nice dinners and church. Before he gave it to me he had mashed the chrome bumper- I have a new one I just need to get it from Santa Rosa. Need to replace the head cover gaskets. It’s been dripping some oil on the exhaust and causing some smoking, but I’m very intimidated by the miles of vacuum tubes in the way lol! I’ve always wanted to put some 13” Dayton wire wheels on it too.

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice I've owned a few of those over the years to be honest. Last one was a '92 my father had special ordered with a H.O. small block chevy 350 from the factory that I inherited after my Dad passed in '97. Gave it to his best friend in 2000 and he still has it as a daily driver lol.

If you ever need advice or parts let me know.

Boscology

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Everytime I see a Ghia my heart misses several beats while my eyes and brain take over.

Got rid of my 955 this summer after 6 years, I turned my own wrenches for challenging tasks and expanded my skill and understanding of automotive mechanics greatly. Replaced it with a base model 958 for our family road trips, its a great model line of cars you can buy for a great price because most people do not want to have anything to do with dealership repair bills.

20160724_191157.jpg
Hey neighbor, I’m in Sacramento too!
I have my Grandpas 1988 Cadillac Brougham d’elegance. 66k miles on it

in the mid 2000's I had a 1986 Fleetwood Brougham also low miles and in great condition.

I remember one day trying to navigate a parking ramp downtown and in the corkscrew ramp the length of the car was too long to advance and I was scraping the curbs by the walls on both sides as I had to get out of the car and explain to the 3 different commuters waiting behind me that we would all need to reverse out of the ramp.

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
Everytime I see a Ghia my heart misses several beats while my eyes and brain take over.

Got rid of my 955 this summer after 6 years, I turned my own wrenches for challenging tasks and expanded my skill and understanding of automotive mechanics greatly. Replaced it with a base model 958 for our family road trips, its a great model line of cars you can buy for a great price because most people do not want to have anything to do with dealership repair bills.

View attachment 349492

in the mid 2000's I had a 1986 Fleetwood Brougham also low miles and in great condition.

I remember one day trying to navigate a parking ramp downtown and in the corkscrew ramp the length of the car was too long to advance and I was scraping the curbs by the walls on both sides as I had to get out of the car and explain to the 3 different commuters waiting behind me that we would all need to reverse out of the ramp.
oh man! I’m going to definitely keep that story in mind in parking garages! I remember being little and mom getting it stuck in an alley way in the mission district in San Francisco 😂

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of my customers brought out his '37 Ford today with the great weird weather we are having here in Norcal. Love this car!
Beautiful car!
The gear head in me can't help but notice the brake and clutch masters sitting directly on top of the header collector. Seems like it would get too hot.
Two big Holley carbs on a small block chevy is...
Beautiful show car.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a question before I schedule a repair service for the wipers on my wife's '17 Mercedes GLE 350.
She swiped the wipers while I was removing ice and snow from the bottom of the windshield when
a chunk of ice fell behind the wiper armature and jammed them. Had her shut engine down immediately
but too late. They are stuck in the up position and the washer doesn't work either.

Sounds like a simple fuse, but I finally located the fuse diagram under a back seat.
Found the said location and that fuse is fine. I swapped the relays. There's 2. One for on/Off
and one for intermittent that appear identical. That didn't work.
Do both relays have to be good for the On/Off to work?
It sounds like there's a second fuse in another location, but it only identifies one fuse
with no mention of the wiper washer, so I assume the washer uses same fuse.

Would a test meter in the continuity setting work so I could check all fuses blindly
without having to pull and reinsert each one? Blindly meaning not identifying what the fuse is for
just going down the line...

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Continuity works found one bad fuse - cigar lighter, not the wipers though
all fuses good, so I guess the relay blew? So why when I switch equal value relays
the wipers still don't work? Maybe motor has issue too...me and the wiper motor.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Continuity works found one bad fuse - cigar lighter, not the wipers though
all fuses good, so I guess the relay blew? So why when I switch equal value relays
the wipers still don't work? Maybe motor has issue too...me and the wiper motor.
Can you check for 12v at the motor connection?

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I am not a big MB guy but like Underdog said check to make sure you have good power to the wiper motor at the connector or you may hear the wiper motor running when you engage them, if that is the case then it points to a mechanical problem. It could be when the chunk of ice got jammed it may have popped the arm off the gear from the wiper armature.

But with the wipers and washers both stopping to work at the same time it sounds more like a electrical problem than a mechanical one to me. I'll do some research today when I am at work and see if I can find anymore information as well as calling a few of my customers shops that work on Mercedes today and see if the may have a idea.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Can you check for 12v at the motor connection?
The motor isn't visible, will see if anything pops loose easily enough to get to it and check, thanks!
it sounds more like a electrical problem
Sure does, no there's no noise at all. Good point washer also not working.
I checked continuity of all fuses in all 3 fuse boxes.
When checking your contacts, might you ask if the relays should both be replaced
(on/off and intermittent each have same kind of relay located in the engine compartment fuse box)?

It's under warranty and we have appointment to take it 45 mins away Wed.
but not having wipers is/can be critical. I'll spray the windshield with RainX prior
if I can't figure it out.
Thanks guys!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wow! Nice vehicles!

I “like” them all.. just don’t want to end up in a “thumb-sling” from pressing the button that many times.

I USED to enjoy building cars... well.. engines... I’d keep the body stock... I liked VW’s Toyota’s and Nissans... and had a couple.. “tuned out” (Actually.. not just “changing the breath on both sides”-tuned out 🤣 )

But my FAVORITE...

Was a 1987 Supra, Ported a TOUCH.. (the IL6 3.0 wouldn’t allow for much) Beefy Garret Turbo (From a TD Benz ‘85(?)... had to “fabricate a new header system to accommodate the “custom” turbocharger. (And to make sure my bends were such that I was gaining enough backpressure BEFORE the unit to spool it efficiently) from an 88’ Jeep (can’t recall model) exhaust system.
Build a new head, ignition system, and general electric overhaul.. the entire time “keeping up” with the “mapping” of the ECU (i had a “guy” for THAT part 🤣)... ect... ect... No back seats, radio, speakers, nothing AT ALL in the trunk, no carpet or “sound-deadening goo”... straight-pipes after the turbo...

I was 17 when I built that car...

I was also 17 when I flipped it...

..into a river.

🤦🏽‍♂️

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's under warranty and we have appointment to take it 45 mins away Wed.
but not having wipers is/can be critical. I'll spray the windshield with RainX prior
if I can't figure it out.
Thanks guys!
I have had no time at all to do any research due to a couple employees calling out today. I did speak with a couple of my shops and none of them had any quick ideas. But they were going to try and do some research and get back to me if they find out anything.

I'll let you know any info I can get before you are able to get it into the shop. Good to know you have a warranty Mercedes are expensive cars to repair.

Top Bottom