The New Growth Thread

Elihatt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
No pretty pictures but pictures nonetheless!

Attachments

• 3BF7BA32-327A-4D1B-8194-FD85A08514B8.jpeg
    3BF7BA32-327A-4D1B-8194-FD85A08514B8.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 18
  • B3A01589-F765-4D07-8D74-7782F24077C4.jpeg
    B3A01589-F765-4D07-8D74-7782F24077C4.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 55015C2D-C6D6-4531-B623-D317E846C81B.jpeg
    55015C2D-C6D6-4531-B623-D317E846C81B.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 21

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Next year you will see the flower bud again!
Hm.. sigh.. The downside of these trees. You snip and you loose the option for flowers for this year. Or are there tricks?
I now go by selecting a few inner branches that I try to keep in mind to keep..

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hm.. sigh.. The downside of these trees. You snip and you loose the option for flowers for this year. Or are there tricks?
I now go by selecting a few inner branches that I try to keep in mind to keep..

pome blooms twice a year: early and late spring. If you want to have flower, you should keep the short branchlets because the flower bud will emerge in the end of these branchlets. However, it also has flower buds in the end of the long shoots, but we can not use it for bonsai.
Thụ Thoại

LCD35

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dang it! That's how clueless I am about pomegranate. i thought I missed the flower and it was trying to fruit. Hopefully, I'll get another bud, so I can see the flower.
I'm starting a thread tomorrow about my two young dwarf poms. They are covered in buds after a rough and weird summer. Given how much difficulty I've had with my other material, I'm loathe to remove them cause I need something beautiful and successful right now.

Have you trained primarily clip and grow or wire? This seasons growth seems pliable enough to use a light wire, but I'm still hesitant. I only got them in March, so I'm clueless also :)

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'm starting a thread tomorrow about my two young dwarf poms. They are covered in buds after a rough and weird summer. Given how much difficulty I've had with my other material, I'm loathe to remove them cause I need something beautiful and successful right now.

Have you trained primarily clip and grow our Amy wire? This seasons growth seems pliable enough to use a light wire, but I'm still hesitant. I only got them in March, so I'm clueless also :)
I haven't had the plant very long, so I'm just letting it grow for now. Make sure and post pictures of the blooms!

LCD35

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I haven't had the plant very long, so I'm just letting it grow for now. Make sure and post pictures of the blooms!
Will do. My crepe myrtle that was sold to me as a Zelkova (surprise!) when Dallas bonsai went out of business is also about to burst open. So I have two ready to put on a show if I can beat this 105° desert heat.

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Will do. My crepe myrtle that was sold to me as a Zelkova (surprise!) when Dallas bonsai went out of business is also about to burst open. So I have two ready to put on a show of I can beat this 105° desert heat.
I'd much rather have the crape myrtle! Good for you.;)

LCD35

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd much rather have the crape myrtle! Good for you.;)
I got a three tree bundle for $15. A ficus, bougainville, and the crepe (Zelkova). Semi tropical pack I guess. No flowers on the bougainville yet, but I repotted this week. There was some mild root rot with some awful smelling soil, so I'm guessing how wet it was prevented bracts from forming. It's still growing well and has tripled in size since February. Ficus is exploding. The crepe as well.

The heat is working out great for these three, but I actually double potted the crepe into a container of potting soil to let the roots escape; it's so hot it wilts with out a second watering at lunch or third in this heat by evening. Hoping roots escape to fight the aridness.

The poms were fine until this heat wave. In fact, I was probably under watering and under fertlizing. So, moved to get some afternoon shade and a second watering as well. Small pots seem to be the common factor.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Corticosa elm:
9877ACEC-E74C-4FDA-83E0-715B4FF7B2A5.jpeg
Pomegranates from a week ago:
BE2B5687-7EF4-4FF9-8906-164F539155C8.jpeg

Some of my trident maple cultivars are also gonna leaf-out any day.

Top Bottom