The Soil

edwin norden

Sapling
Reaction score
I have read forums and i understand there is no right soil mix.

I want to ask is mine ok ;)

I did not find akadama,turfuce, or some bonsai mixes.

I made it like this

1. 20 % pine bark
2. 20 % perlite
3. 20 % granite
4. 40% soil

Should i chane it? I have not used that soil yet. But that kind of stuff i can find in store. Becouse there is no bonsai clubs or people who are growing bonsais i cant get any advice for ouer climate.

In summer 15-18 sometimes 30 in winter -5 -10 sometimes -25 like this winter.

Should i test my soil in some emty bonsai pot how the water comes out or smt like that?

Please dont hit me for stuped questions. ;)
Thank you

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
With such a vast array of climates,you would have far quicker success searching the site with the search to find info.
Good luck!

edwin norden

Sapling
Reaction score
I dont know i just made the soil.
I should do it whitout soil ?
And use same stuff will it be fine ?

Or there are some better things to use?

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I only use stuff i can sift:
totcga1560.jpg

With soil i assume you mean potting soil. Most of times the mix is inorganic particles of some sort and the organic stuff is added later by fertilizing. Potting soil only makes the mix less drainy and less controlable how fast it dries out (too compact soil dries out to slowly and doesn't let air penetrate the soil to the roots, also more risk for root rot).

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
image.jpeg Not advocating this soil will work in all different climates,it obviously don't.I will enjoy it though.My trees need it.

But,anyway.I was a potting soil user for three years.It actually worked in colanders and overhead rain protection.But lacked in aeration of the root system.

Speaking of aeration of the root system,this picture of an air-layer I did from last year taught me a lot about the roots I wanted to grow and maintain in a bonsai or grow pot.
Simply shaded and moist has great effect with the increased aeration.
Blows potting soil away.

edwin norden

Sapling
Reaction score
I did not find eny akadama,turfuce,pumice,lava rock

20% pelite
20% granite
20% pine bark
40% what should i use in here then?

I know it depends many things but what i could use
Give me some options please.
Then i can start to look for the better stuff.

All the bonsai mixes what i found contains turfuce,akadama,lava rock,pumice

Stuff what i cant find in here. I what to make a soil what i can use in future as well.

Some little advice will be nice.
Thank you all ;)

edwin norden

Sapling
Reaction score
Yours mix is fine,just bark and soil together should not be over 20%. That is approximately what works for most people.

Then i put some more granite and perlite on the mix or some clay pellets what i have and just waiting for to go trashcan.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Then i put some more granite and perlite on the mix or some clay pellets what i have and just waiting for to go trashcan.
I don't know shops in ur neighborhood, but I now use cat-litter-clay instead of acadama (because it's cheaper and easy available), it hold's moisture and air can go past it and it's doesn't brake as fast as acadama (unless u have the wrong stuff, in that case it's even worse then acadama), also i know some use Oil-Dri (perhaps it's also acadama-like, no experience with that stuff yet).

edwin norden

Sapling
Reaction score
Iff i will use cat litter what i must check before i make a big mistake if i use wrong cat litter. I have read about the cat litter but some of them are not good to use for bonsai soil mix. Is the a some firm or name what to look for?

And for my soil i just add the cat litter and then it will be ok?

edwin norden

Sapling
Reaction score
20 % cat litter
20 % perlite
20% granite
20% pine bark

20 % soil ? Or the soil and pine bark in bad for 20 % and 20 % ?
The final 20% can be clay bellets? Or what should i use insteed potting soil?

Top Bottom