The starter Ficus repository!

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@SizeXtraMedium ,

if you keep the Ficus b, lush, it will usually, try to heal.
If you do carve, carve with the idea that you are healing
wounds.

We have a Ficus b. Natasha, that died back to just a
piece of heartwood with live tissue.
We are observing how it is producing new live tissue to cover the
dead wood on all sides.
But remember -Topics - down here.
Good Day
Anthony

@LanceMac10 , buy a ............. thornless leopard tree.:)o_O:eek:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you, as long as there is no rush to remove the dead parts I will continue to allow it to just grow for now
No rush...spring of next year when this goes back outside for the warmer months I think would be a good thought process. A good long growing season it is facing to help heal the scar. It should also offer more backbudding at that time.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@SizeXtraMedium ,

if you keep the Ficus b, lush, it will usually, try to heal.
If you do carve, carve with the idea that you are healing
wounds.

We have a Ficus b. Natasha, that died back to just a
piece of heartwood with live tissue.
We are observing how it is producing new live tissue to cover the
dead wood on all sides.
But remember -Topics - down here.
Good Day
Anthony

@LanceMac10 , buy a ............. thornless leopard tree.:)o_O:eek:

I want MORE thorns!!!!!!!!!!;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:p

SizeXtraMedium

Yamadori
Reaction score
No rush...spring of next year when this goes back outside for the warmer months I think would be a good thought process. A good long growing season it is facing to help heal the scar. It should also offer more backbudding at that time.
I think that's a good idea. From here on until spring I think I'll feed well and just let her be

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think that's a good idea. From here on until spring I think I'll feed well and just let her be
I think that is a wise idea...with the intentions of a later chop below that dead wood. You can then have more options with it growing out. Allow it to have a good year to recover isn't a bad thing. Patience is a good thing with this hobby. I'm trying to remain patient while I away material for a sumo ficus. Patience...in the meantime. My too-little is growing happily. Need to fertilize. A week behind...with my dad's health as it is. I only had time to water last week.

The leaves in my too-little benjamina...which I forgot when I read your post that mine is a cultivar with smaller leaves.
image.jpg

SizeXtraMedium

Yamadori
Reaction score
I think that is a wise idea...with the intentions of a later chop below that dead wood. You can then have more options with it growing out. Allow it to have a good year to recover isn't a bad thing. Patience is a good thing with this hobby. I'm trying to remain patient while I away material for a sumo ficus. Patience...in the meantime. My too-little is growing happily. Need to fertilize. A week behind...with my dad's health as it is. I only had time to water last week.

The leaves in my too-little benjamina...which I forgot when I read your post that mine is a cultivar with smaller leaves.
View attachment 207595

Ahh those little leaves are awesome! How old is your tree? I'm intrigued by the color of the bark

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ahh those little leaves are awesome! How old is your tree? I'm intrigued by the color of the bark

Thanks...yes this cultivar is known for its tiny leaves. My first ficus. Honestly...I didn't ask the age. Got it from my main go to guy for bonsai Scott Lee. Too-little are known for their straight trunk. Scott always seems to have some unusual material. So when this came up for auction on Facebook auctions. I had to bid. No age was mentioned...and honestly...age isn't my main concern. It's how a tree represents itself that intrigues me. So sorry...no clue as to its age.
Since the color of bark intrigues you. Here is a full shot of it...taken today. Sitting out back on my garden bench. it's quirky at best. A shy smidgeon under 8" tall.
image.jpg

SizeXtraMedium

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks...yes this cultivar is known for its tiny leaves. My first ficus. Honestly...I didn't ask the age. Got it from my main go to guy for bonsai Scott Lee. Too-little are known for their straight trunk. Scott always seems to have some unusual material. So when this came up for auction on Facebook auctions. I had to bid. No age was mentioned...and honestly...age isn't my main concern. It's how a tree represents itself that intrigues me. So sorry...no clue as to its age.
Since the color of bark intrigues you. Here is a full shot of it...taken today. Sitting out back on my garden bench. it's quirky at best. A shy smidgeon under 8" tall.
View attachment 207608
A beautiful and unique tree for sure. I wish mine was of the "too little" cultivar :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A beautiful and unique tree for sure. I wish mine was of the "too little" cultivar :)
You wouldn't have that movement in the trunk on yours if it were. So embrace it...like I said, it's a cultivar known for a straight trunk the one I own. So unique is what had me bidding on mine. And your tree has a lot going for it. I love the base...and the movement in the trunk. How tall is yours? But...you mentioned leaf size...and I keep forgetting mine is a dwarf variety. Still new to me...this ficus tree.

SizeXtraMedium

Yamadori
Reaction score
You wouldn't have that movement in the trunk on yours if it were. So embrace it...like I said, it's a cultivar known for a straight trunk the one I own. So unique is what had me bidding on mine. And your tree has a lot going for it. I love the base...and the movement in the trunk. How tall is yours? But...you mentioned leaf size...and I keep forgetting mine is a dwarf variety. Still new to me...this ficus tree.

True, true. Mine is a little over a foot tall from the rim of the pot up. Id like to see it grow to about a foot and a half to account for the large leaves but....we will see what happens

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
True, true. Mine is a little over a foot tall from the rim of the pot up. Id like to see it grow to about a foot and a half to account for the large leaves but....we will see what happens
There is always defoliation once the tree is where you want it in development. You just have to leave viable buds or green on the end of the branch. I wouldn't do it while your trying to develop ramification.

SizeXtraMedium

Yamadori
Reaction score
There is always defoliation once the tree is where you want it in development. You just have to leave viable buds or green on the end of the branch. I wouldn't do it while your trying to develop ramification.

I have considered that an option but was looking for a less temporary fix for the big leaves. I think with this tree I'm a ways away from being able to defoliate anyways

Marlon

Sapling
Reaction score
Great growth on the tiger bark! I also hope to grow some massive bonsai, the weather is very friendly to tropical trees. Just started on my bonsai safari! About a couple months in and im loving the trip!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Green island ficus bought early Sept 2018. Splitted and air layered plus 2 cuttings. I will wind up with 6 to play with in the spring.20180915_090317.jpg20180915_090307.jpg20180915_074350.jpg

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My $25 auction Benjamina. I bought this tree in March and havnt done a whole lot to it (aside from minor trimming to increase ramification) since. I'm quite happy with the shape and movement of the trunk but I'm afraid the entire canopy needs a total rework. All but one of the main branches was dead upon receiving the tree (which I have yet to remove). Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on what I should do with this tree? I didn't want to have to chop the trunk but it also appears that the top inch or so of the main trunk has died
That’s a great find. How much was international shipping if you don’t mind me asking.

Top Bottom