The Tree Thread

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
What type of pine is that- a dwarf cultivar? Foliage looks nice and dense.

Obligatory tree: a shohin-sized wild rose clump. Recently collected, seems to have survived. It has a good base; I’ll develop it in the pot.

Edit: screwed up somehow, tree is in next post

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Of course there is hope for this tree but it all depends on how aggressive you are willing to be, how far are you willing to go and how long are you willing to wait? These are the critical questions you must ask yourself before you acquire a tree, not after. This tree in-particular will need a lot of attention almost none of it is obvious at this point because of the nature of the photograph. There is one thing quite obvious: The tree will need a good deal of reduction down to the basics of branch ramification before you can decide where the tree might go. If this is not done properly you might lose the tree. Look at any bonsai book or publication and look at your tree: Do you see any resemblance between this tree and the books you are looking at?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Shimpaku beginning the journey, learning to stand. Next a bit more reduction on left side, then wire branches roughly for better exposure and back on the bench till winter! Took a couple of hours with the help of two friends. Had to comb out, rinse away all soil, remove larger roots and reposition the finer roots. Was grateful the grower ( Telperion) had done a good job of reducing the largest roots when transitioning from the ground growing to the anderson flat several years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1212.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1213.JPG
    IMG_1213.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1358.JPG
    IMG_1358.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 38

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
J. Maple Arakawa night shot...
View attachment 233445
Nice , love the combo. Here is my twin trunk hemlock after a spring haircut and style. Courtesy of a close friend and collaborator. I wanted help with reduction now that it is reaching a certain stage of growth and getting closer to refinement. Back on the bench till fall, water and fertilizer.IMG_1360.JPG

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice , love the combo. Here is my twin trunk hemlock after a spring haircut and style. Courtesy of a close friend and collaborator. I wanted help with reduction now that it is reaching a certain stage of growth and getting closer to refinement. Back on the bench till fall, water and fertilizer.
Nice Frank! Pot looks sorta familiar too...
83F33994-004E-4BB0-B18A-FC2F992621F6.jpeg

Top Bottom