The Tree Thread

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
At least now you’re playing by the rules. You weren’t asking about my soil mix anyway. RMJ grafted with Itoigawa.
I assume this is a RMJ you collected. When were the grafts done and how long do you think until it will be before it's first styling?

Blue Atlas Cedar with new scion grafts earlier this spring.
IMG_20200224_175114.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I assume this is a RMJ you collected. When were the grafts done and how long do you think until it will be before it's first styling?
Yes, I collected it in 2013, and grafted the right side in 2015, and left side in 2019.
I separated the right side this spring, and the left side is probably ready to separate now. I did a much better job the second time. I plan to style it this fall.
Shimpaku...
2712AED6-E4B6-4BCF-BE84-D30A4534AEE7.jpeg

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ground layer on a maple to create a double trunk tree (I think it's Katsura). Netting to stop the damn birds stealing the sphagnum on top. Nothing will be pruned this year and I'm just gonna leave the graft to run too.

IMG_20200523_205045.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hornbeams are nototious porkers, they like to be fed a lot and watered a lot more than a lot of trees. Ignore those two facts and hour hornbeam may crash.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Shishigara Maple under development. Thread grafting ready for the new season! Time to drill and thread!View attachment 294460
Update after thread graft, time to thin and defoliate the entry side to promote faster growth on the exit side and subsequent extension! Reduce top growth and encourage lower branches! Two pictures, before and after!

Attachments

• IMG_1107.jpeg
    IMG_1107.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1109.jpeg
    IMG_1109.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 30

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
20200524_173240.jpgPinus Sylvestris 'Gold Medal' with a cedum accent. I got this tree about a year and a half ago as nursery stock. I did a little work to it and liked how it was looking. Last fall the club that I'm a member of, Puget Sound Bonsai Association, had a bring your own tree night for members to get help from fellow members with more experience. Since I'm pretty new I was excited to bring a few trees. This was one of the trees that I bought. Well I was pleasantly surprised when found out that Mr David De Groot was in attendance and would be flouting around the room talking with people about their trees. When he came by he took the time to talk to me about a direction to take my tree and help with some branch selection, I ended up removing about 40 to 50% including a major branch that gave it a slingshot look. Then he said "wire it up while I help others", so I wired as quickly as I think I'd ever wired while trying to do a good job. I finished just as the meeting was clearing out and to my luck Mr De Groot was still there and took the time to help me place the branches. He was a very gracious gentleman who was extremely giving of his skilled time. It will need to be repotted, maybe next spring. I'll start looking for a pot.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
image1 (7).jpeg
This is a Larch forest I put together last spring (2019) with Larch I had collected two years previously (2017). Im planning on adding a tree on the bottom left that leans out toward the left. Also, planning another forest planting with some interesting Larch I have collected for next spring.

Top Bottom