The Tree Thread

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update on a few Cotoneaster, now in full bloom.
Rock planting from cuttings

View attachment 378846

From above, this variety is always packed with flowers
View attachment 378847

Close up of the star like flowers
View attachment 378850

The tree that provided the cuttings for the rock planting

View attachment 378851
That’s just lovely. Do you know the variety? I’ve got a bit of a love affair with Cotoneaster at the moment. I just struck a bunch of cuttings myself, do you feel they took pretty easily?

0D767CDE-3E91-4C67-B03E-880981BA34C8.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
pomegranate growing out in a Tosui

KKuCZXU.jpg

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All my guys are looking good this year. Maples are extending, leaves in good shape (considering their species) and hardening off to their green state. Elms doing what elms do, exploding. Pyracantha also doing what elms do + flowers. My pear tree is my star player, super green, super vigorous, great health display, was also root reduced this year and repotted. Even though I did that work, given it’s response, I’ll not do drastic pruning on it. Hornbeam all good, healthy leaves, no mildew. Olive tree is pushing growth, much sooner this year than last. The combination of great sunshine and warm temps (for the UK that is), and heavy rain recently has made all the trees very happy.
I’m dumping organic fert on those that need the development and just lighter sprinkling on those that

Pics are not impressive or presentable, just purely pictures of health and vigour. They look a mess, even! But, growth and health :). Now I have a lot of work to do on them..

EBCB3C3A-E7B3-4B1E-A6B1-FBF70426AF06.jpeg

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Pinus edulis (Piñón; Pinyon Pine) collected by Todd Schlafer in 2018. I repotted it from the big tub it was sitting in to its new Dave Giorgi pot four weeks ago. Pretty massive reduction, but there were a lot of fine roots. It has since pushed candles and the needles are starting to open.
8226AD00-F7F9-475A-B3CA-3ED72D141848.jpeg0E402E3A-A33B-4C39-9538-1C779E886F79.jpeg1140E2DD-7060-486C-BF45-9D0209EABBBA.jpeg

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That’s just lovely. Do you know the variety? I’ve got a bit of a love affair with Cotoneaster at the moment. I just struck a bunch of cuttings myself, do you feel they took pretty easily?

View attachment 378862
Nice tree 👌👌I think it's called Cotoneaster Dammerii "Coral Beauty". Yes, they're not hard to root, they'll take with me just sticking them in the soil in a shady bit of the garden.

Random pic of one of many project trees dotted around the place, this being another Hawthorn, of which I've got a few now. This one hasn't flowered yet but I'm hoping it will be a tight, powerful tree with either a semi cascade type feel or long first feature branch. I've been trying to drain some energy off it as it's been popping water shoots and suckers.

IMG_20210425_205140.jpg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree 👌👌I think it's called Cotoneaster Dammerii "Coral Beauty". Yes, they're not hard to root, they'll take with me just sticking them in the soil in a shady bit of the garden.

Random pic of one of many project trees dotted around the place, this being another Hawthorn, of which I've got a few now. This one hasn't flowered yet but I'm hoping it will be a tight, powerful tree with either a semi cascade type feel or long first feature branch. I've been trying to drain some energy off it as it's been popping water shoots and suckers.

View attachment 379168
I was thinking that was the variety. Love coral beauty the best of the bunch of Cotoneaster. I just struck a bunch of cuttings for many projects down the road.

EDB04F3C-7190-4709-A3D8-9ED130480860.jpeg33C43928-1C67-4A03-817D-2DBC246A181D.jpeg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Cut it back to two full leaves all over the tree unless you are looking to elongate a portion of the tree for design possibilities. Take the prunings for cuttings they root rather well.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@Hartinez What sort of desert species are those? Sage of some sort? They look really cool!

A humble young nana in training, but considering where I started with it a couple years ago (horizontal branch in a pot), I'm proud of it's progress.

nana01.jpg

Top Bottom