The Tree Thread

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very nice picture of a very nice tree. Is the tree yours and if so, how about some details please?

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Vance Wood owes a tree pic......eventually this one could look like the JV version of @Adair M friends tree...maybe..heheheee.....

DSC01327.JPG

Maybe WeeMac can pass it to his kids to get it there!!!!!!
DSC01234.JPG
Probably not....but we still have fun!! And not a JWP like the previous, that is an incredible tree!!!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You guessed it another Mugo. Mops aka Zombi Mugo from this Spring. Note the cluster of buds. This is one of the identifying characteristics of the Mops cultivar. I will post a current photo if I get a chance to take a shot before heading to NY.

DSC_0188 copy.JPG

Gbhunter77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You guessed it another Mugo. Mops aka Zombi Mugo from this Spring. Note the cluster of buds. This is one of the identifying characteristics of the Mops cultivar. I will post a current photo if I get a chance to take a shot before heading to NY.

View attachment 116213
Why zombi?
I got an upright mugo. Can those be grown into bonsai?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I call it the Zombi Mugo because when I acquired the tree in 1955 I repotted the tree according to the traditional wisdom, in the early spring and I thought I had killed the tree. It did nothing the entire year but look worse and worse. I thought the tree might have some fire left in furnace so I decided to keep it, I had the room at the time, so it set on my bench for another year and did nothing. Stupido that I tend to be, I thought the tree did not look totally fired so I kept it statshed away but not trashed. Another season starts and low and behold it starts to throw some buds. That is bassically three growing seasons without growing. Most Pines are dead by this time therefore I call it the Zombi Mugo. Sorry I do not have a better current picture. The bottom picture is from 2014.

For those of you who are interested in the world of the Mugo Pine, notice how the tree started out with multiple trunks and now the image is of one major trunk and only the hint of the others.

Dwarf Mugho 1985 copy.jpgZombiMugo.jpg

Gbhunter77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I call it the Zombi Mugo because when I acquired the tree in 1955 I repotted the tree according to the traditional wisdom, in the early spring and I thought I had killed the tree. It did nothing the entire year but look worse and worse. I thought the tree might have some fire left in furnace so I decided to keep it, I had the room at the time, so it set on my bench for another year and did nothing. Stupido that I tend to be, I thought the tree did not look totally fired so I kept it statshed away but not trashed. Another season starts and low and behold it starts to throw some buds. That is bassically three growing seasons without growing. Most Pines are dead by this time therefore I call it the Zombi Mugo. Sorry I do not have a better current picture. The bottom picture is from 2014.

For those of you who are interested in the world of the Mugo Pine, notice how the tree started out with multiple trunks and now the image is of one major trunk and only the hint of the others.

View attachment 119342View attachment 119343
That is cool. Were the trunks removed or is it possible to have them "fuse" together?
Sorry about before Mr Wood, hope you can find a way to forgive me for being an ass.
Anyway I have an upright mugo...at least that is the name it was sold under can those be bonsified? Also how fast to mugo pines grow? Honestly I know nothing of mugo pines. I know a bit on white,red and black but zero on mugo. I can for the most part make the other pines do what I want...the issue I have is Im not always sure what it is I need to do to make them into the classic style. The ones I have that came out like what I want I am very happy with. But I would like one that ckecks all the boxes other people are looking for.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That is cool. Were the trunks removed or is it possible to have them "fuse" together?
Sorry about before Mr Wood, hope you can find a way to forgive me for being an ass.
Anyway I have an upright mugo...at least that is the name it was sold under can those be bonsified? Also how fast to mugo pines grow? Honestly I know nothing of mugo pines. I know a bit on white,red and black but zero on mugo. I can for the most part make the other pines do what I want...the issue I have is Im not always sure what it is I need to do to make them into the classic style. The ones I have that came out like what I want I am very happy with. But I would like one that ckecks all the boxes other people are looking for.
Gb,

The rule on this thread is every post has to have a picture of a tree. I don't think it has to be one you own.

Here is a picture of a Mugo that I don't own:

IMG_0332.JPG

So, yes, Mugo make very nice bonsai!

Of course, I cheated. That is a yamadori. Mugo are native to the Swiss Alps and other mountainous area in Europe, so it's very unlikely for anyone in the US to have anything remotely this nice. Maybe some have been imported,I don't know.

The Mugo pines available are the ones sold as landscape material. And they've been shaped to be hedges. So the challenge is undoing all the shaping that is exactly the opposite of what we would want in bonsai stock!

There is a lengthy thread devoted exclusively to working with that type Mugo. I believe it's called "All aboard the Mugo train".

I suggest you read that thread, and pose your questions about Mugo there.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The rule on this thread is every post has to have a picture of a tree. I don't think it has to be one you own.
It does need to be one of your trees, that's the whole point of the thread.
A reminder for all, from the OP 1051 posts ago:
If you comment, you have to post a picture of one of your trees. You can post the same tree multiple times, but from different angles, or details about the tree or the container.
Best,
Dorothy
IMG_7245.JPG

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It does need to be one of your trees, that's the whole point of the thread.

View attachment 119418
Sorry!

Ok, so I need to post two of my trees!

This one everyone has seen before. It's currently on display at the NC Expo show in Asheville, at the North Carolina Arboretum.

IMG_0383.JPG

This next one I may show next year if I can get the needle length right:

IMG_0344.JPG

This one is a Kifu size. Bigger than Shohin. But not really big enough to display on its own. So, a three point display is called for. Hmmm...

Maybe I can pair it up with this:

IMG_0307.JPG

An azalea I'm hoping I can shoehorn into that Roy Minerai pot. It's Shohin, but on the cusp of bring too large for Shohin.

Ha! That's three trees!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
if you comment, you have to post a picture of one of your trees. You can post the same tree multiple times, but from different angles, or details about the tree or the container.

Yah, follow the rules!
They are meant to be for fun; not to be broken :mad:

Three Norway maples.

full

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
It does need to be one of your trees, that's then whole point of the thread.

View attachment 119418
I like the feet on that pot. Very nice.
My white pine thinking its a black pine after a year of feeding it since spring.
But its backbudding now. Wire is removed few weeks back
image.jpg

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Some trees down from the hurricane . Good thing I don't have dogs anymore20161008_122658.jpg

Reactions: Vin

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

Don't worry about it, I don't hold grudges, and life is too short to worry about INTERNET disagreements that, in my experience can turn themselves around to friends. Here is an example of the Specie Mugo called Montana Pine, in this case the term Montana meaning Mountain not the State Montana. This tree has three trunks but did not start out as a bush. There are single trunk Mugos available but they are difficult to find. Most of Mine have been developed by chopping and removing a lot of over burden, around the roots and revealing a larger base.

Mt_DrgnDoneSept99JPG.jpg

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This one was for sale in the vendors area at the NC show today... everything has stepped up a notch at this show in recent years! Multiple nice trees, many that were on display at Nationals... this monster was for sale from the Bonsai Learning center I believe. I only bought some concave pruners and a couple @Dale Cochoy pots with virtually unnoticeable defects he let me have them for a song! Thanks man! Good to see @johng as always and good to meet in person finally @hometeamrocker ! Had a blast! Will post up a thread soon for folks to add their pics.
IMG_0720.JPG

Top Bottom