'This is not a contest tree' Fagus - Supathaifly

SupathaiflY

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, here we go..
Any tree, so which one to choose.
Decided to go with this fagus.
Bought it for about €20 (25$) when it was at a 30% discount.
20180331_162554.jpg
When I got it the tree was over 3 meters (over 10ft). As it was never gonna fit in my car I decided to chop it at the shop.
I wonder why ppl were looking kinda strange at me...
20180331_163730.jpg

Once at home I gave it a spot in the garden, not knowing where to go with this.
Untill today, this is gonna be my 'not a contest tree'

The roots are kinda ****, guess I'll start with an airlayer. This would be a new technique for me.
Guess this tree will be a lot of work but will teach me a great deal of techniques...
We'll see were we end up 4 years from now...
20180424_151641.jpg
20180424_151726.jpg
20180424_151731.jpg

SupathaiflY

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So.. time to get started with this one.
I'd like to airlayer the tree but having a hard time deciding where the new roots should appear.
Anyone who has some ideas?
20180511_102946[1].jpg
20180511_102949[1].jpg
20180511_102953[1].jpg

At this point, new leaves start to appear where the old ones where.
Is this a good time to do an airlayer?
20180511_104617[1].jpg

SupathaiflY

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any advice?

Saw two possible place to airlayer.
What do you think?

First cut is at the base of the tree.
Quiet some branches to choose from later on.
cut1.jpg

Second cut at the top
cut2.jpg
with this in mind.
Fagus sylvatica Jef Corthouts.jpg (Fagus sylvatica Jef Corthouts | Fagus sylvatica - Jef Corthouts - H: 90 cm)

SupathaiflY

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did two air layers yesterday. Was a struggle because it was my first attempt at this but I asume it went ok.
So no further work will be done on this tree till it's time to take a look at the new roots.. ?

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can pretty safely go deeper on those air layers to be sure you don't have any cambium bridging going on.

Also - are both air layers in line, like on the same trunk? Typically you can only layer once at a time for any particular branch or trunk. Cool tree!

Cheers,

SupathaiflY

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can pretty safely go deeper on those air layers to be sure you don't have any cambium bridging going on.
I'll keep that in mind for the next time. I was a bit carefull on where to make the incision so I did it a bit lower then had foreseen. I might reconsider....

Also - are both air layers in line, like on the same trunk? Typically you can only layer once at a time for any particular branch or trunk. Cool tree!
Cheers,
Yes, Both were made on the same trunk. I did think about the fact that it might be a bad idea but took a shot at it anyway.
Hope I have success with one of them :)

Danny Tuckey

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you put sphagnum moss inside? I have a fagus sylvatica but not nearly as thick a trunk as yours, so I'm just letting it grow atm. I will probably air layer it too.

SupathaiflY

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes Danny, I filled it up with sphagnum moss that I keep wet/moist.
I'm not gonna touch it till after summer unless the roots start busting out the package... (wishfull thinking... :D)

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
You need to remove all the green cambium completely from under the bark to ensure flow interruption, I'm pretty sure you wont get roots unless you go right down to wood.

Also I'm pretty sure having one layer above another on the same trunk/branch will definitely not work unfortunately.

Danny Tuckey

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What are your plans with this tree Danny?
Plan is to stick it in the ground let it get bigger. Then when Im happy with the trunk air layer it I guess. Not sure about anythimg after, it's difficult though they don't really backbud I hear.

SupathaiflY

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You need to remove all the green cambium completely from under the bark to ensure flow interruption, I'm pretty sure you wont get roots unless you go right down to wood.

Also I'm pretty sure having one layer above another on the same trunk/branch will definitely not work unfortunately.
Hi,
Thank you for your time.
I did scrape the green cambium with a sharp blade. Hopefully I did enough.
I also added some rooting powder at the edge, dunno if that might help.

What result should I get by doing two air layers on the same trunk? No result at all, only the upper one will produce roots, only the lower one,... ?

Danny Tuckey

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,
Thank you for your time.

What result should I get by doing two air layers on the same trunk? No result at all, only the upper one will produce roots, only the lower one,... ?

Probably only the lower one as that's where the sap is stopped at, so the top one won't get sap and roots won't form there.

Well my beech has some buds forming to fill in some gaps so im happy with that and it's making it's second flush of growth. ?

New buds growing:
DSC_0221.JPGDSC_0223.JPG
Right in middle where the lump is, a small bud is growing:
DSC_0225.JPG
Second flush of growth:
DSC_0224.JPG

geekyalias

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi,
Thank you for your time.

Did you have any success in the end with this? I'm just thinking of layering my beech this year, once it breaks bud at least, and looking for any advice I can find :)

Top Bottom