Tiny BC forest

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Cuttings from a branch of cypress, broken in a storm

Moss under an old oak tree, forloin in a corner of the park, far from the laughter of children in play

Ceramic pot made by yours truly, memento of a wonderful time long gone

May life spring forth from all these parts and make them a tiny forest in which joy stays.20181012_005918.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Now in my office. It will come home on weekends.
20181012_075125.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
good luck.
Thanks. I've been able to grow things under these lights and I've been able to start BC from cuttings so I think I have a decent chance for it to work. I actually have half a dozen of larger BCs but when I tried them out last night they seems too large for the setting. I think when these grow out, they will fit in more naturally. The moss really goes well with the BC. It keep the soil wet enough for the BC to grow well.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
My BC sticks appear to like being in standing water. This makes it so easy to have in my office. No drain tray for watering!
BCForestAndDesertRose.jpg

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Our bc dropping its leaves already, too late to try cuttings? This makes me want to....

Thanks!
B

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Our bc dropping its leaves already, too late to try cuttings? This makes me want to....

Thanks!
B
It doesn't hurt to try, especially if you are doing it indoor under grow lights.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
After a few months, all the cuttings in that small pot died. However, the larger cuttings about 1 cm diameter are still alive in the big pots outdoor. I find that it is not worth it to try cuttings. In the time I wait for the roots to take and grow as a tree, I will have grown comparable size ones from seeds that I collect. I have more leaves on my seedlings in a month than on my cuttings in 6.

Last edited:

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Same. I’ve had...let’s see...zero success with cuttings ? Must be some kind of operator error.

Seedlings are going great though!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
After a few months, all the cuttings in that small pot died. However, the larger cuttings about 1 cm diameter are still alive in the big pots outdoor. I find that it is not worth it to try cuttings. In the time I wait for the roots to take and grow as a tree, I will have grown comparable size ones from seeds that I collect. I have more leaves on my seedlings in a month than on my cuttings in 6.
That is reason why I stop doing the cuttings. Taking too long and you have to baby them for a long while before they can be treated like trees. Too much hassle

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ya cuttings need humidity and some light. Exposed on a desk with a small lamp is not exactly optimal.

I have used clear plastic totes with some success. You have to let it air out and mist daily though. Roots can take several months to grow.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Ya cuttings need humidity and some light. Exposed on a desk with a small lap is not exactly optimal.
I got a bunch at home in large cutting trays with cover and automated watering. They are growing but at no where near the growth rate of my BC seedlings. Without even trying hard, I have 50 seedlings that are thriving.

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Once the cuttings have a root system they will grow well. Growing from seed can be easier. Light is a big factor in both cases.

My favorite cuttings are boxwoods. They root easily and the leaves don't loose moisture as quickly a many other plants. The bad part, boxwoods grow slowly. Sigh...

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Once the cuttings have a root system they will grow well. Growing from seed can be easier sometimes. Light is a big factor in both cases.
I agree. It's just a lot easier for me with seeds since I live in Louisiana. I just collect some seeds in my friends' yard, crush them in my hand, and toss them in a large seed tray. After a few weeks, I'll have dozens and dozens to transplant. If I don't have time to start from seeds, I'll just wait til March of every year and the tree conservation people will sell bare roots ones for $1 apiece.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My bc cuttings seem to root easily. I just stuck 6 clippings in a pot with my bonsai mix and they all are still alive in the second year. Stick them in last spring and left them.They did fine outside through our winter and are pushing leaves now.

Top Bottom