Tiny Tot, a little Berberis

Marc S

Yamadori
Reaction score
A little Berberis started from a branchless stump last year.
Has anyone experience with small Berberis?

berberis2mei2009.jpg

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know much about berberis, but that's a nice trunk to start with. Good luck with that one and keep us updated.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it, it is the style of trees I like

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wire the branches as soon as you can, don't let it dry out, let the shoots extend for a bit this year to increase vigor. Pick the flowers to encourage shoot growth. Watch out for cracks in the branches after wiring. In my experience, too much work too soon slows the plant down, that is why I let the shoots go a bit when they are young.

Marc S

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have trouble keeping them alive. I can only guess that I tried cutting the roots too quickly.

That's strange, I have the impression that they grow like weeds.
I think they're perfect for bonsai: small leaves, rapid growth, small flowers and an old looking trunk.

This is an other one I have, 6 inches tall:

berberis1mei2009lente20.jpg

Last edited:

kytombonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Marc, This is a small barberry called yellow sunshine (if I remember right) I bought it as a nursery plant about 5 years ago, cut the top off, cut the roots off and put it in a small pot, trained a side branch up for the new apex and the tree never missed a beat. It flowers in the spring and puts on a few berries. Nice easy small tree.

Tom

Attachments

• HPIM0297.jpg
    HPIM0297.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 75

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes you can find very nice trunks if you look long enough. Marc when are you going to do some wiring on your berberis ?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Berberis is an excellent bonsai subject. You can find decent trunks (no, younger ones don't develop very rapidly-unless you plant them out) in nurseries for not alot of money.

They tend to grow shoots at the expense of branching. Also, if you're carving out the wood, don't be shocked as it is bright yellow. :eek:

Top Bottom