Tips on developing some Japanese Maple pre-bonsai when ground-planting is not really an option?

D

Deleted member 32750

Hey does anyone know where I can find correct/reliable information on care guide for Japanese maples? General or specific to my zone 7. I’m thinking Peter Warren Japanese maple book? If anyone have a free online source would be awesome. Thank you in advance and I apologize if im breaking some posting rules.

Ctbonsai15

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Glad I found this thread I’m new into bonsai and also just started with a pre bonsai Japanese maple .

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Zone 4 Minnesota? A few things about garage wintering. Remember to water and keep them off the ground. Have a thermometer set in the garage. Keep a heater handy for the cold cold of mid January.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don’t ground grow my maples. Bending over to tend trees would be great for the trees, right up until the point when my lower back would bring an abrupt end to the activity.

I’ve tried various methods of growing trunks in containers. So far, the best results have come from overpotting in a container that is both wide and tall, using a substrate with excellent drainage. I think the tall container is important when significantly overpotting a tree, as it helps ensure that the substrate doesn’t stay overly wet overly long. I’ve also had decent results with pond baskets.

P.S. For your zone, you might want to take a look at Korean maples or some of the Japanese maple x Korean maple hybrids for your next tree.

Top Bottom