To all the trees I've loved before

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
One can never win when trying to analyze other peoples's actions,

One should tend to one's own business and never try to analyze others actions, others actions will speak for themselves. I would love to discuss this with you in the bar if you like.

Harry

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
One of my displays at our club's annual spring show. My stones and Shoji screens. All my stones will be gone on the 17th, a lady is driving down from KC to purchase them, man is she getting a good deal.

Harry

Attachments

• DSC00232.jpg
    DSC00232.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 106

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is impossible to say how much I enjoy your trees. All I can say is thanks.

Quick question, how long did it take you to gain the knowledge to achieve these beautiful trees? What do recommend is the best approach learn this?

Joe

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
harryspine.jpg

Harry, I love the cascade too, but this JBP has movement to die for!
I would love to get my hands on this one.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Experience is the best teacher, that's why I always advise joining a club in your area, the older members are a wealth of info, they will know what will survive in your climate. Hands on experience beats reading ten books. If your club offers workshops, take advantage of them, you will learn a lot. Once you learn how to take care of one species, you should have no trouble taking care of several of them. JBP are not trees for beginners, one of the hardest of all species to maintain. All the advanced bonsai keepers I know have had professional training to keep them at their best. Boon has a couple of videos that are very helpful. I was lucky enough to take some training from the Smith's in Dallas, who were trained by Boon and of course working with Marco was priceless. The absolutely best bonsai learning experience is to watch and learn from a professional, always worth the price.

Harry

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
It is impossible to say how much I enjoy your trees. All I can say is thanks.

Quick question, how long did it take you to gain the knowledge to achieve these beautiful trees? What do recommend is the best approach learn this?

Joe

I am glad you enjoy the trees. I did while they were mine. Just remember you are just the caretaker for a period of time in a bonsai's life, don't be the last one and pass it on better than you found it.

Harry

Last edited:

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm trying to share my knowledge (what I do have) with my grandchildren. I hope they will enjoy as much as I do.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
First I'm Harry not sir. No I sold all of my trees to Don Blackmond, glad you enjoy the trip down memory lane.

Harry

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I bought this tree from Jim Gremel, it is a collected California juniper grafted with Shimpaku foliage, some folks will tell you it's not a good idea to take these trees out of California, but my thrived here in Oklahoma. They are beautiful trees. Jim sells the best copper wire in America.

Harry

Attachments

• DSC00307.jpg
    DSC00307.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 80

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
My big girls taking life easy.

Harry

Attachments

• DSC01153.jpg
    DSC01153.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC01154.jpg
    DSC01154.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 70

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Bringing some of them out for there first taste of sunlight in the early spring. The building on the right is my shade house/green house, in the winter I cover it with co-poly and heat it, none of my trees ever froze, that is why they are all dark green instead of a rust color. My shade house in the summer with the co-poly removed. I'm really proud of it, I built it myself with no plans and believe me I'm no carpenter, all screwed together, no nails. The last two pictures show where my trees spent August, protected from the 100 degree hot sun and hot drying winds. I misted them about 4 times a day. If you will look at the Kishu Shimpaku on the far left in the first picture, notice the beautiful blue green color of the foliage, different from that on a Itowigata Shimpaku.

Harry

Attachments

• DSC00069.jpg
    DSC00069.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC00072.jpg
    DSC00072.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC01149.jpg
    DSC01149.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC00346.JPG
    DSC00346.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC00347.JPG
    DSC00347.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the recent pics you posted Harry. I was just wondering if I may ask...What happens to the koi when it snows?

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
No problem, koi are four season animals. They just go down on the bottom and shut their systems down and fast for about 3 months. Being all females, it helps them absorb their eggs, because they won't spawn without a male in the pond, that's a good thing.

Harry

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No problem, koi are four season animals. They just go down on the bottom and shut their systems down and fast for about 3 months. Being all females, it helps them absorb their eggs, because they won't spawn without a male in the pond, that's a good thing.

Harry

Thanks Harry, thats very interesting & I had no idea they do that. A friend of mine keeps koi too. He gets his koi from Kodama farms here on oahu. Koi are way more expensive to upkeep than bonsai....in my opinion.

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BTW, showed my wife a pic of that pine that I like.....You probably heard her yelling all the way in Oklahoma.....

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bringing some of them out for there first taste of sunlight in the early spring. The building on the right is my shade house/green house, in the winter I cover it with co-poly and heat it, none of my trees ever froze, that is why they are all dark green instead of a rust color. My shade house in the summer with the co-poly removed. I'm really proud of it, I built it myself with no plans and believe me I'm no carpenter, all screwed together, no nails. The last two pictures show where my trees spent August, protected from the 100 degree hot sun and hot drying winds. I misted them about 4 times a day. If you will look at the Kishu Shimpaku on the far left in the first picture, notice the beautiful blue green color of the foliage, different from that on a Itowigata Shimpaku.

Harry

You've posted about the shade house before, but I didn't get the design until these recent pics. Really love those conifers in the shade house. Did you work with any deciduous?

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
As I remember the only "D" tree I ever had was a Texas Cedar Elm, the only tree you couldn't kill. Don bought it.

Harry

Top Bottom